Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-09-2012, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We need to keep this forum active. There's way to many gaps in between comments. We all need to work together and communicate about what's working/not working to maximize our profits.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 04:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
That's interesting. I hadn't heard anything about that. My teacher seems to know a lot about that company so I'll try to get some information from her. Surely they'd have to hire a bunch more employees to handle the load, i don't know if I see them doing that.
Posted via Mobile Device
yeah it's doubtful, who knows if it has ever even been something they have actually considered...i first heard about it from this very thread...they have thrived on small mowing companies, basically getting their mowing list and contacting the customers for chemicals, so it's technically a business deal between Ryan and the mowing company, and Ryan would be stabbing every mowing company in the back that they have done "business" with...mowing is also the lowest profit and biggest headache, and they would have to higher a lot of employees, and god forbid withOUT college degrees...the only reason i see why they would do it is because they would then be a full service lawn company...if i was Larry Ryan i wouldn't mess with it, they are doing fine without it...
Old 12-09-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
yeah it's doubtful, who knows if it has ever even been something they have actually considered...i first heard about it from this very thread...they have thrived on small mowing companies, basically getting their mowing list and contacting the customers for chemicals, so it's technically a business deal between Ryan and the mowing company, and Ryan would be stabbing every mowing company in the back that they have done "business" with...mowing is also the lowest profit and biggest headache, and they would have to higher a lot of employees, and god forbid withOUT college degrees...the only reason i see why they would do it is because they would then be a full service lawn company...if i was Larry Ryan i wouldn't mess with it, they are doing fine without it...
Don't worry to much about it, if it ever did happen one of the Borsoe Brothers might just turn over his operation to Larry. Plus I know Larry pretty well and He has just been talking about it, For now don't worry about it, if you do the best job possible customers will go with you because you'll have a good reputation. it's also one of the reasons I'm going to only offer grounds Maintainence to commercial customers in 2013, I'm actually shocked how much my college education is helping my business. Also I don't know if anyone besides Natural lawns of America offers this, in 2013 I'll be offering organic and hybrid Tree, Shrub and lawn care options in addition to traditional programs.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

How has the college education helped you're business? I graduated from a Big 10 university and the only way it has helped is when dealing with alumni.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachj265 View Post
How has the college education helped you're business? I graduated from a Big 10 university and the only way it has helped is when dealing with alumni.
Posted via Mobile Device
Classroom Education and practical hands on expertise, it's helped me to the point where I'm not "guessing" on why valve number 5 on a residential irrigation system isn't running. Also our school has a reputation for turning out some really talented students who are in demand in the green industry. So to sum it up it's helped me just enhance my overall knowledge and that I know is what clients really want.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering for those who might have gone to school their. What do you think of Longviews grounds and turf management degree. I have a degree in Computer Infromations systems and would only need to take core specific classes. Just wondering from those that might have gone?

Matt
Old 12-10-2012, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got my associates in ground/turf from Longview! It was a great decision. The night classes are easy to fit into your schedule, the classes are fairly small so you really get that 1 on 1 with the teachers.Leah Burg and Rusty Denes are terrific and so helpful. Leah will help you in so many ways, she has so many contacts in the industry it's unbelievable and she will introduce you to all of them. I swear, that alone is worth going there. I am actually going back to retake the pesticide class. I passed the class but I didn't feel I took an as much knowledge is I really wanted to. the 1 thing I will say is it's hard to take in all the information that you will learn in an 8 week class. especially when you are taking multiple other classes at the same time. when you take the pesticide class make sure it has your full attention, you will receive your commercial applicators license at the end of the class as well if you pass! you will get to take classes such as soil fertility, turf 1 and 2, irrigation, landscape design, pesticides! it certainly does not compare to a 4 year degree at a university but it is a great thing to do especially for guys like us that are busy and have familys and don't have time to do any other classes besides night classes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone looking for some snow removal in Independence?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
I got my associates in ground/turf from Longview! It was a great decision. The night classes are easy to fit into your schedule, the classes are fairly small so you really get that 1 on 1 with the teachers.Leah Burg and Rusty Denes are terrific and so helpful. Leah will help you in so many ways, she has so many contacts in the industry it's unbelievable and she will introduce you to all of them. I swear, that alone is worth going there. I am actually going back to retake the pesticide class. I passed the class but I didn't feel I took an as much knowledge is I really wanted to. the 1 thing I will say is it's hard to take in all the information that you will learn in an 8 week class. especially when you are taking multiple other classes at the same time. when you take the pesticide class make sure it has your full attention, you will receive your commercial applicators license at the end of the class as well if you pass! you will get to take classes such as soil fertility, turf 1 and 2, irrigation, landscape design, pesticides! it certainly does not compare to a 4 year degree at a university but it is a great thing to do especially for guys like us that are busy and have familys and don't have time to do any other classes besides night classes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey I know Rusty, No offense to the guys who decide to go to college later but if you want the real deal Come up here to KSU and get involved in the hort department here. I'm learning at my pace and taking some great classes(Just had the irrigation final today). Does longview offer an Arboriculture class?