Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Good luck making that arguement to the IRS. You know darn well when you're using it for personal use and you're supposed to be keeping a log. The fact that it's lettered does not negate that. Can I say that I've never run out to get a pizza with my truck...of course not, but yes it does sound like you're just tryng to rationalize it.

I also like having a personal vehicle so I can leave the dump trailer hitched up or the tools in the bed and not have to fully demobilize after work. Nice when the wife's car needs to go into the shop too.
You are probably right...and I may have to take that up with the IRS at some point. I have a Tax professional that does my payroll and income taxes monthly and annually. I keep all fuel receipts and give her end of year mileage on all vehicles so she has both to compare. These trucks are on official business over 99% of the time. If the IRS would like to tax me for that < 1% time that they aren't, I say go for it. I promise you, I'm not worth their trouble and I think they know that. They've got "bigger fish to fry" and haven't been concerned with it up to this point. Maybe it's because I pay my taxes and run things on the "up and up" for the most part. I figure that is the best way to avoid throwing up "red flags". We put 10-12k miles on these trucks per year and that is exactly what I report. If at some point they would like to challenge that, I will be waiting for my slap on the hand for not keeping a vehicle log.

To the OP:
If you want to have a business vehicle and a separate vehicle for personal use, I would have the business vehicle be the nicer of the 2. You will be seen at least 8 hrs a day in that vehicle. That vehicle is an important part of your business image and plays an important role in how customers and potential customers perceive your business.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Haha off topic for the guys who are too lazy to unhitch. The truck come on....try un hitching every day and loading and unloading the entire trailer now that sucks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
pretty solid advice there, one other thing to consider. IF you use your work truck just for work, then you get to claim 100% deductions on the mileage during the year.
If you have a vehicle that you use for both personal use and work - you honestly should be documenting mileage used between the two and only be able to deduct the work mileage. More of a pain in the tail paper work to keep it honest.
You're supposed to keep mileage logs either way. Most guys only find out about that at an audit.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use two trucks. Work truck is an 02 silverado in perfect condition, I seldom unhook it, just back the whole rig in the garage. Personal is a 2012 silverado still a little to perfect to work or hunt out of.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
I'm sorry to break this to you, but you are the only one who know's if the gas or diesel you used is work related, there is no way to disprove that it wasn't work related, If you don't want to write off then you don't have to, but there is no way to disprove that it wasn't for work. Its pretty tough for anyone who isn't a first hand account to say you used the gas or diesel for personal use.
I'm afraid you don't know how an audit works. An IRS auditor doesn't have to disprove anything. At the start of the audit it is presumed that every deduction that you took is falsified and you have to prove each and every one if the auditor desires. If you can't prove something then they use industry standards as their benchmark. That usually doesn't work out real well for the person being audited.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got a question for you guys saying the write off you need 2 vechiles to completly write one off

Say I'm married I have 2 work truck (1 is mostly personal but saying work truck) and my "wife" has a car, can I put her car in as my "personal vehicle" and write off the other 2 trucks 100 percent?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
Say I'm married I have 2 work truck (1 is mostly personal but saying work truck) and my "wife" has a car, can I put her car in as my "personal vehicle" and write off the other 2 trucks 100 percent?
I'd have to look again to be 100% positive, but I think that once you establish a vehicle as either personal or commercial as it relates to the company, it must stay that way for the duration. In other words, you can't keep flipping back and forth to gain a tax advantage.

If you have a truck that you've been taking a mileage deduction on, you can't change it to a depreciated status now.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I checked and once you decide which deduction method to use, you MUST continue to use that method until the vehicle is taken out of service.

There is a lot of good reading for this whole subject here:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/calcu...irs-15490.html

Old 12-09-2012, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
I've got a question for you guys saying the write off you need 2 vechiles to completly write one off

Posted via Mobile Device
I think you can as long as your wife's car is reasonably available to use. I don't think it specifies you have to have your own car, just one available. I think it's all in the instructions to that worksheet.

The whole thing is a little complicated. For instance, if you have a remote shop location, the mileage driving from your home to your shop is not considered a business deduction...that is a personal commuting expense.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Nothing wrong with financing if you have the cash flow to pay the note.
true there's nothing wrong with financing but there's nothing wrong with having money up front for things either.

I personally never purchase business items unless I have 100% of the money up front. all equipment has always been paid for 100% up front. that includes my truck and trailer to the mowers and handhelds and anything in between.