Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

queen palms dying

Anybody having any problems with queen palms browning out and seemingly dying right now.. I've got one cust. that has one that literally just browned out and is starting to look dead.. and one in my own backyard.. yards were not sprayed with chemicals or anything of that nature.. they are being watered properly and nothing has changed to cause this to happen that I know of.. they are both about 14ft .. and were healthy a month ago will upload some pics soon.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlcare2 View Post
Anybody having any problems with queen palms browning out and seemingly dying right now.. I've got one cust. that has one that literally just browned out and is starting to look dead.. and one in my own backyard.. yards were not sprayed with chemicals or anything of that nature.. they are being watered properly and nothing has changed to cause this to happen that I know of.. they are both about 14ft .. and were healthy a month ago will upload some pics soon.
Nice to see you on here again. You familar with Fusarium Wilt and some of the other palm diseases? If so have you ruled them out?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I will bet a million shekels its either fusarium decline or Ganoderma. Fusarium exhibits a canopy with all brown fronds in place as if they were green. Ganoderma looks the same but I've noticed the fronds end up falling over. Look on the bottom of the trunk for conks. If you find them it's Ganoderma.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If it is Fusarium , hope that you cleaned your blade used to trim inbetween trimming either of these palms and others or expect to see more decline as you visit properties.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I was personally thinking its fusarium wilt- and neither have been trimmed in a while Landscape Poet, but I do plan on cleaning all the tools up now that I think about it more.. To my knowledge there is no cure and it can spread airborne? Cust. isnt going to to like hearing that.. or even understand, as we are just lawn boys and don't know anything about landscapes. lol will still post pics tomorrow just to share..
Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlcare2 View Post
I was personally thinking its fusarium wilt- and neither have been trimmed in a while Landscape Poet, but I do plan on cleaning all the tools up now that I think about it more.. To my knowledge there is no cure and it can spread airborne? Cust. isnt going to to like hearing that.. or even understand, as we are just lawn boys and don't know anything about landscapes. lol will still post pics tomorrow just to share..
Give them the U of F link if they don't believe you....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
I will bet a million shekels its either fusarium decline or Ganoderma. Fusarium exhibits a canopy with all brown fronds in place as if they were green. Ganoderma looks the same but I've noticed the fronds end up falling over. Look on the bottom of the trunk for conks. If you find them it's Ganoderma.
Posted via Mobile Device
+1. If Fusarium, better get infected ones out of there ASAP. Don't replant with similar species...especially with Ganoderma either. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsNbows View Post
+1. If Fusarium, better get infected ones out of there ASAP. Don't replant with similar species...especially with Ganoderma either. Good luck.
One additional thing to note with fusarium. If it is fusarium, you CAN replant with a palm other than queen, washy, or canary. If Ganoderma, no palm. I am seeing a lot if queens in my area with what I believe is fusarium.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Whoops, you mentioned that bugs...my bad.
Posted via Mobile Device