Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

McDonald's, Dollar General, and Family Dollar

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone one here do business with McDonald's, Dollar General, or Family Dollar stores? If so, what's your take on it and how do they pay?

I've heard that Dollar General and Family Dollar store already have set prices. Also, they pay 45 days from the date of the invoice.
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
7x14 OPEN TRAILER
5x10 OPEN TRAILER
36" HUSTLER ZTR
48" SCAG ZTR
61" SCAG TT ZTR
1 SRM 266T ECHO TRIMMER
1 SRM 2601 ECHO TRIMMER
1 PE 200 ECHO STICK EDGER
1 PB 770H ECHO BLOWER
1 PB 413H ECHO BLOWER
2 21" SNAPPER WALK BEHIND
1 22" TORO WALK BEHIND
1 ECHO SHC 225S HEDGE TRIMMER
1 ECHO CHAINSAW
Old 12-07-2012, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It sounds awful complicated at first but it's really not that bad once you understand how it works, unfortunately this understanding is fairly required in order to proceed along the lines of what you speak of, I will explain as best I can what follows.

What you speak of refers to the maintenance of the property on which such a store sits, hence you most likely won't be dealing with the folks who own or manage a specific shop because those stores rarely sit on their own lot, most often they are located in a strip mall along with other shops... Then the stores usually fall under an umbrella corporation such as an LLC who in turn owns the shop(s) but you simply are referring to the anchor, or the main business in that strip mall, it is important at this stage to remember that neither the folks who work there nor the umbrella corporation own the lot itself and thus they are not responsible for it.

The strip mall is usually owned by a realty company, the businesses such as the one you speak of lease the space their store occupies from said company, and that company usually sub-contracts the maintenance to a property maintenance company who in turn contracts Lco's to take care of things.

So you'll need to get in touch with the property maintenance company that has been hired to sub-contract out said maintenance to guys like yourself by the realtor company who owns the lot itself, in conclusion the people who would hire and in turn pay you would be the property maintenance guys, in some cases a phone call to the realty company may be helpful.

Last edited by herler; 12-07-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

For example (all factual information such as business names and address I made up):

A McDonald's sits at the address 12,050 Farnly Road.
But they do not own that lot, the parking lot, the grass, probably not even the building.

The McD's itself is owned by Nutritional Flappers LLC, that is who likely leases the building, the equipment, is responsible for paying the employees and so on.
However, the lot the building sits on is owned by WeRentThisToYou Realtors
Who may even own the building itself, they then lease the lot and the building to Nutritional Flappers LLC

And WeRentThisToYou in turn subcontracts the maintenance out...
But not directly to you, they don't want to do nothing involving much actual work, they just want to pay someone to take care of everything and I mean everything!
So they have some guys by the name of Whatever Property maintenance company.
Those guys don't do any of the actual work either.
But they hire it out to folks such as us, they pay us, they agree to the terms, and so on.

It is a bit strange, a lot of crap rolls down hill and it starts at the top and hits several tiers before it even filters its way to the bottom, corporately speaking, it involves three or four tiers and you need to speak to the proper person on the tier that is responsible.

Hope that made some kind of sense.

Last edited by herler; 12-07-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

when i did commercial work i made the comm client pay @ the 1st of the month of the month. i started that after 2 comm's started paying 90 days late.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We did another fast food chain. One year we grossed a little over $500 from them. We'd have them scheduled on a Thurs. and they would call Wed. afternoon to say it was all set this week. Nothing but a headache from what we dealt with, we tried bidding on other restaurants and found they were the same, wanted to pay 1k per year for FULL service. I'm sure it depends on the franchise owner as well.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do two subways and one dollar general. On the dollar general I deal with the local owner and he pays on time every time. The subways are owned by someone out of state and I have to deal with there region manager. They always pay but they run 30 days behind. I've never had any problems with either one.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dollar General routine maintenance

I did HVAC preventive maintenance for 31 Dollar G stores for 15 yrs. They pay directly out of the DG corp office. I always got my money, but it would always be 45-60 days, and sometimes 90 days. Good money, but you had to wait for it.

By the way, all of the DG stores are leased to them but they (DG) are responsible for day to day maintenance, and I would think that would include grounds maintenance....but I'm not sure.

I lost their business when they went with a national (HVAC routine maint) company that contracted all 6600 stores in the country. This was done to prevent DG having to write 6600 checks every month (just for this one service)...or so I was told.

Last edited by StanWilhite; 12-09-2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do 1 DG store and the property owner pays me every 30 days. I have 7 Burger Kings owned by the same franchise owner, they pay every 30 days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
I do 1 DG store and the property owner pays me every 30 days. I have 7 Burger Kings owned by the same franchise owner, they pay every 30 days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh okay I feel a lil better about the DG's now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleen Kutz View Post
Oh okay I feel a lil better about the DG's now.
Posted via Mobile Device
The property owner leases the building to DG so I have no experience with DG directly. Some stores are owned by DG.size=1]Posted via Mobile Device[/size]