Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How many acres was it total mowing? Closer to 40? I'd think 50k would have been a good place to start. Based off what I'm seeing. I hope things work out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Well it sounds like some of your lawns were actually costing you money. interested to know how it turns out. good luck to you
I had a cluster of three that I was doing that was about 45 min one way from my house... A HOA detention basin, and two houses on 50x100 lots. After expenses I would have been better off at Mickey D's.....
2008 Exmark 31hp briggs 60" triton w/QDS Ultra Vac
2012 Deere 1026R/60" 7-iron
Honda HRX 21"
Stihl handhelds
Billy Goat Truck loader
33 years old - Since 2007 - Solo - FULL TIME
Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
How many acres was it total mowing? Closer to 40? I'd think 50k would have been a good place to start. Based off what I'm seeing. I hope things work out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Total area was 46 acres. I figured up one time it was around 25 acres of grass. Not football fields of lawn type 25 acres.... Like 160 small lots 25 acres.... With crap every 20 feet in the lawn.... Bird feeders, rain gauges, flowers, flags, solar lights.... You name it, they stuck it in the lawn somewhere.

I thought long and hard about upping the price and going after it again, after all, I knew exactly what it was going to take. But my equipment was starting to age... Another year or two of doing this and it would need replaced bad, plus I was wearing myself out, I needed more help. Then my dad has begun to have health problems, so he probably wasn't going to be able to he much longer.... Everything just said it was going to cost more than what I was going to raise the price. Better to walk away while I'm still sane....
Honda HRX 21"
Stihl handhelds
Billy Goat Truck loader
Old 12-10-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrick View Post
God, fate, whatever you want to call it is so funny... might remember the big school I was bidding on and lost cause it was too big for me... well, I landed something even better. Just got word yesterday that I won the bid for a local retirement community... about 40 acres total, but only about 1/2 that is grass. About 70 duplexes and 2 larger facilities... best part it's about 5 minutes from my house. I'm figuring about 25-30 hours time, and won the bid at $30k/yr. This along with my other accounts and some realistic growth will put me well over what I'm making at my current PITA job, and be able to provide so much better for my wife and kids, and hopefully have more time in the cold months to spend with them. Photo of the property is attached. How do you think I made out?

You did in your original post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Total area was 46 acres. I figured up one time it was around 25 acres of grass. Not football fields of lawn type 25 acres.... Like 160 small lots 25 acres.... With crap every 20 feet in the lawn.... Bird feeders, rain gauges, flowers, flags, solar lights.... You name it, they stuck it in the lawn somewhere.

I thought long and hard about upping the price and going after it again, after all, I knew exactly what it was going to take. But my equipment was starting to age... Another year or two of doing this and it would need replaced bad, plus I was wearing myself out, I needed more help. Then my dad has begun to have health problems, so he probably wasn't going to be able to he much longer.... Everything just said it was going to cost more than what I was going to raise the price. Better to walk away while I'm still sane....
Just curious....Whats your next move? Do you just go solo and do individual houses?
I have alot of days that McDucks would be better lol.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
You did in your original post
Lol... Original bid was 30k for mowing plus 6k for bushes... I guess I left that out.
Honda HRX 21"
Stihl handhelds
Billy Goat Truck loader
Old 12-10-2012, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Just curious....Whats your next move? Do you just go solo and do individual houses?
I have alot of days that McDucks would be better lol.
Trimming the business down to the equipment that I need to run by myself. Chasing work over the winter to hopefully fill up most of my schedule. Also looking to expand services... I've got my pest license, so I can push that, plus I think lawn renovations will be big next spring. Next few months will be the toughest, hopefully well have some snow to fill in the gaps.
Honda HRX 21"
Stihl handhelds
Billy Goat Truck loader
Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Trimming the business down to the equipment that I need to run by myself. Chasing work over the winter to hopefully fill up most of my schedule. Also looking to expand services... I've got my pest license, so I can push that, plus I think lawn renovations will be big next spring. Next few months will be the toughest, hopefully well have some snow to fill in the gaps.
Thats sounds good, Ive had several oppoturnites to get "big" but turned them down, I enjoy being solo.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I actually was $500 more per year than a large firm from out of town, but was given the opportunity to match them since I was local. Not so much of under bidding, as not being set up to do the work in the first place. If I hadn't had to go out and get more equipment, and was just paying $10/hr kids to do all the work, with plenty of labor to call on when things got busy, it would have been much better. Problem was I couldn't keep five guys busy outside of this account. I couldn't afford to get another truck, trailer, etc.... The business outgrew itself basically and I wasn't ready.

Did they show you the bid?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Thats sounds good, Ive had several oppoturnites to get "big" but turned them down, I enjoy being solo.
Yep. I have had many opportunites to get larger properties. Every spring through various contacts I get calls wanting me to mow youth centers, common areas, office buildings (owner of wife's company) ect.... I am not set up for these types of accounts nor would I want to be at this time. I see my buddy who does these larger accounts with his multiple crews getting more grey by the year. Let him make pennies on the dollar. Once I seen what these accounts get bid at I knew I was going to stay small or get really big where I could do volume and turn a few bucks.

Bid jobs you are set up to do.
Posted via Mobile Device