Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I disagree.

having a lawn service is no longer for the rich as a luxury.

there are tons of people who need someone to cut there grass. the elderly and disabled are the major ones.

I'm not saying charge dirt cheap but we need to keep prices afforable and fair.

as long as there scrubs though prices will never be able to total raise to where some of you want them and the higher you raise yours the more scrubs you will employ.

I'm 100% legal as a business in every way but because I'm solo my overhead is much lower than those with employees. because I'm single my cost of living is less than those with wife's and children. I personally capitalize on this because I can afford to charge less and still turn a profit than the guy who is married, has a couple kids and 6 employees. so in some regards you guys wanna keep raising your prices through the roof go right ahead. I'll be right behind you with a price that's a little cheaper signing up the clients.
At the end of the day the only person you are shortchanging is yourself. Rationalizing lower rates because you have lower than average personal expenses is just crazy. What happens when you have a family? Sit down and figure out what you are turning for a profit AFTER you pay yourself a fair wage, for all intents and purposes you are an employee of your business. I wish you luck dumpster diving with customers, myself I want to weed out the low payers for more lucrative opportunities.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I disagree.

having a lawn service is no longer for the rich as a luxury.
The cause of the downfall

Quote:
there are tons of people who need someone to cut there grass. the elderly and disabled are the major ones
That's great and you know what, if this industry paid what it should most companies probably wouldn't mind cutting breaks to these people, or even servicing for free. But everyone wants to be treated like they're elderly or disabled!!

Quote:
I'm not saying charge dirt cheap but we need to keep prices afforable and fair.
Fair for who? Why are people afraid and ashamed to make money??? Never have I ever understood "fair and reasonable" rates. You know how many products and services you probably pay for that you would consider unfair or unreasonable but still pay for anyways..... Also why should a customer always dictate what is fair? They don't even know what it cost you to run your business. They have zero clue what good equipment costs, employees, taxes, etc....

Quote:
I'm 100% legal as a business in every way but because I'm solo my overhead is much lower than those with employees. because I'm single my cost of living is less than those with wife's and children. I personally capitalize on this because I can afford to charge less and still turn a profit than the guy who is married, has a couple kids and 6 employees. so in some regards you guys wanna keep raising your prices through the roof go right ahead. I'll be right behind you with a price that's a little cheaper signing up the clients.
You're destroying someone's ability to create jobs and help others live a life who cannot get a decent job or even start a business. You choose to live with mommy and daddy and undercut a legit business who employess people and keeps them off assistance and gives them something to wake up for everyday. I understand your costs are lower but it's not like your a big business choosing to buy gently used equipment or more efficent stuff to reduce costs compared to the next guy. Sorry but that's shameful.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneLawn&Landscaping View Post
How many of you like paying for something you don't receive?.......I read many posts of some being confused how you can run a business without knowing how much is going to be coming in. Almost all business runs that way. You can project the years possible income from past years performance and growth, but you never know for sure! Doesn't matter if your retail, building and construction, service industries, etc...... In the end, I feel better billing for what I've done, not what I might do!
I do agree with you about this, but only in the mowing aspect. It does make sense especially in our area. And there haven't been massive droughts either and our area is probably not as prone to it.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I always get a kick out of those who say I lowball because my cost of living is lower. Does that mean if you worked for someone else and the starting pay was $20 per hour you would offer to work for $10 per hour because your cost of living is lower?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

MD Lawn I'm sure glad SOMEBODY gets it, I don't mind giving an elderly person a break, but like MD says EVERYBODY isn't elderly. After a lot of thinking and reading this thread I'm going to offer a mixed batch of year round and per service this season, it seems to make sense, but no more bi weekly, at least no more than I already have. GMLC, I guess I should be cutting for $10/yard I'm single and have no kids either, NOT! That's just plain STUPID!

Last edited by cpllawncare; 12-10-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like this thread.

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneLawn&Landscaping View Post
How many of you like paying for something you don't receive?.......I read many posts of some being confused how you can run a business without knowing how much is going to be coming in. Almost all business runs that way. You can project the years possible income from past years performance and growth, but you never know for sure! Doesn't matter if your retail, building and construction, service industries, etc...... In the end, I feel better billing for what I've done, not what I might do!
Well! let's see, I pay the same every month for my cell bill weather I use all the mins or not, I pay taxes for the school system that I don't use, I pay the same every month for internet again weather I use it or not, same for cable.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades Lawn Maintenance View Post
I like this thread.
Why?

It's so dissappointing because it shows why this industry is going into a further downward spiral.

A few of us will try to save it but it will be an uphill climb for sure.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Well! let's see, I pay the same every month for my cell bill weather I use all the mins or not, I pay taxes for the school system that I don't use, I pay the same every month for internet again weather I use it or not, same for cable.
But according to some it's not a "service". It's a luxury one for sure which can cause problems with that but too many are stuck on just mowing vs offering total maintenance they just can't see it.

I get it.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

OH! and NO MOW N GO! from me, it's full service or nothing!