Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i dont have a new 50 thousand dollar pickup or new 50 thousand dollar dump truck

Good point on not over buying equipment to keep costs down.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
easy to profit being a solo op or 1 employee, id say my average lawn is 25 bucks. i park and store all my equipment at my garage i have areas i can cut 4, 8, or 15 homes without moving my truck. i do try and upsell my side work a little bit though and like someone else said my expenses are kept down best i can i dont have a new 50 thousand dollar pickup or new 50 thousand dollar dump truck
You actually charge less than $25 a yard? I don't care if I had an entire neighborhood with 400 houses I'd still charge 35-40/yard, your killing me, my truck and all but one mower are paid for as is all my handheld stuff and all the other crap I have, DANG maybe I am greedy? I just thought I was in business to make money.

Last edited by cpllawncare; 12-10-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ok enough I promise. Do what works for you, I'm going to stick with charging monthly with the option for year round service. Weekly service March 1st thru Dec 1st, for the ones that don't want year round.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
You actually charge less than $25 a yard? I don't care if I had an entire neighborhood with 400 houses I'd still charge 35-40/yard, your killing me, my truck and all but one mower are paid for as is all my handheld stuff and all the other crap I have, DANG maybe I am greedy? I just thought I was in business to make money.
Greedy?? Not a chance.

These guys prices (area dependent) are LOWER than prices 10 years ago!!! Believe me we were charging more than that 11 years ago. Everything has gone up except lawn mowing. Milk, gas, candy bars, vehicles, haircuts, etc.. I guess we can all just put our tails between our legs, lay down, and be put out to pasture.

Here's the thing CP you had a well paying job before lawn and landscaping. Some guys come from $9/hr jobs and (not saying anyone here) any increase is great and you don't need much intelligence to pull a start cord and mow in a back and forth pattern. Then whack down the grass you couldn't cut with a mower and fire up a blower.

Some have lower expectations of what they want in life and others like you and I have much higher ones. Some want a self employed JOB others want a business. Right now I have a self employed job. I want more than that.

I'm done also. Back to my original topic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Some have lower expectations of what they want in life and others like you and I have much higher ones. Some want a self employed JOB others want a business. Right now I have a self employed job. I want more than that.

I'm with you, I'm in the same boat as you,
Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

well going back to hrly rate what you expect say your rate is 60 an hr if I can cut that 25 dollar yard in 15 mintues or 20 mintues that in my opinion isn't being cheap or anything that's priced accordingly so why do you say ur 35 is set in stone
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Cause my market will bear it. I'm still bewildered with this I have low overhead so I will charge less theory? what kind of business sense does this make, lower overhead only means increased profit margin in my business class.

back to schedule! my issue with per cut is in the spring when it rains for a week are you ok with losing money over something that you have no control over. It just seems like possible setup for failure especially if your just starting out and need to build up a cash reserve.

Last edited by cpllawncare; 12-10-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

And that's a dumb statment because I'm sure you didn't start with 30 employees you prob started as a solo op which in ur words isn't a business
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Cause my market will bear it. I'm still bewildered with this I have low overhead so I will charge less theory? what kind of business sense does this make, lower overhead only means increased profit margin in my business class.
You're speaking a foreign language to most.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
And that's a dumb statment because I'm sure you didn't start with 30 employees you prob started as a solo op which in ur words isn't a business
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't recall saying a solo op isn't a business, the #of employees doesn't determine a legit business, I did start out a solo op and actualy only have three employees as of now, but I've always been insured licensed and a separate company bank account for business use only, no comingling of funds.