Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't read the responses. What if an employee damages their hearing and comes back and sues your company years from now?

My workers compensation legislates that we all wear protection that prevents hearing loss.

I suggest that if an employee uses music headphones at work, you both have to agree in writing that they do so at their own risk, and they cannot ever litigate against you or your company for any hearing loss.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NewEarth View Post
I haven't read the responses. What if an employee damages their hearing and comes back and sues your company years from now?

My workers compensation legislates that we all wear protection that prevents hearing loss.

I suggest that if an employee uses music headphones at work, you both have to agree in writing that they do so at their own risk, and they cannot ever litigate against you or your company for any hearing loss.
This is not a bad idea. Have employees sign something stating that "you provided proper ear protection. Any use of personal headphones or ear buds on the job voids you from any responsibly for hearing lose." Have them sign a wavier that states that they will be using personal ear protection, ear phones, and ear buds instead of the supplied protection. This should legally clear you (Check with your lawyer first of course).

Then let them enjoy music. Studies show were more productive when were listening to music. If you notice any of the employees becoming slower, address the issue. aka, don't have them selecting playlists when they should be working. They can do that between job sites or just simply use pandora. Otherwise let it be. You have more important things to worry about. I can tell you first hand, music takes your mind off of how bad a particular task sucks. You will have a more productive work force and they will feel like your not trying to micromanage everything they do.

Let the music flow my friend!