Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-10-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

U can have a nicer truck and be an ******* and rub it in but bein my second year in business I. Think its a great truck and does the job
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
first I will never have a family because that not something I ever want in my life.
Sounds like you're just pretending that you have a choice in the matter.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
U can have a nicer truck and be an ******* and rub it in but bein my second year in business I. Think its a great truck and does the job
Posted via Mobile Device
Like I said looks like your doing just fine.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Cause my market will bear it. I'm still bewildered with this I have low overhead so I will charge less theory? what kind of business sense does this make, lower overhead only means increased profit margin in my business class.

back to schedule! my issue with per cut is in the spring when it rains for a week are you ok with losing money over something that you have no control over. It just seems like possible setup for failure especially if your just starting out and need to build up a cash reserve.
You are exactly right. I don't get it either. Why would a person leave money on the table? Because they don't have as much overhead? That's about the dumbest thing ever said. Lets see. If someone gave me a 5k mower for free (low overhead) and I didn't need it. Do you think I'm going to just give it to someone else since I didn't have anything invested? People that think this way have NO business sense at all.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why? Because it's easier to land accounts at a lower price. It works for them for a while......
Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Why? Because it's easier to land accounts at a lower price. It works for them for a while......
Then the "Uh oh" moment happens..........
Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

How much do u guys gross a year if u don't mine me asking and net ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't share my gross with anyone but my wife, my insurance agent and the tax man, but my net is consitently over 50% of my gross. That's without taking out my salary. Last year I managed 76% but usually it's in the high 50s. Most of my revenue is from labor.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
I don't share my gross with anyone but my wife, my insurance agent and the tax man, but my net is consitently over 50% of my gross. That's without taking out my salary. Last year I managed 76% but usually it's in the high 50s. Most of my revenue is from labor.
good stufff thats a great %, do you have alotta guys workin for you? and what would you say your main work portion is? (installs, hardscape, maintenance, etc)
Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mostly maintenance and snow plowing. I do lawn renovations and some landscape tractor work too. One or the other of my 2 sons, 15 and 18 will do the trimmer/blower routine with me for 3 or so days a week 4 or 5 hours a day in the summer, but I can do it without them. It just makes for a much easier day when I have help. They both know my whole route but usually only help with part of it in any given week. My books are on the other computer, but usually landscaping is less than 10% of my gross, so that keeps my percentage higher...it would be less if I were consuming a lot of materials. I didn't have any major repairs or purchases in 2011 which helped too...bought a new backpack blower and that's about it.