Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-11-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i use my personal truck as my work truck. i mean that's what trucks were originally made for....to work. they weren't made to drive back and forth from a desk job each day while looking pretty going down the highway lol.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
i don't really think it does matter what anyone else things. but i have an opinion just like everyone else does.

and mine is it's a waste of money to pimp out your work truck. just pull a truck off the lot and use it as is. why put money into it with fancy lights, wheels and a tint job.

just my opinion though.
ya your opinion but im younger i think blacked out windows and lift kids are cool i dont have either cuz they are pointless on a worktruck thats gonna get scratched up andd dinged up from workin none the less i would do it on my personal thing it grabs the eye
Old 12-11-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
I don't think truck mods are tax deductable. Making a work truck look respectable is one thing, but a kid near me with an excavation company has a work truck with a 6" lift and a skid tank in the back. Doesn't make sense IMHO.
I think you could write off anything for your work truck or truck(s) new exhaust, new tires, whatever size they might be, new seats, I agree with you if a truck is actually going to be worked like towing heavy equipment or even a few ztr's a lift kit is pointless, but to each his own. I keep my trucks stock height, but I like the way aggressive tires look and sound, so that is what my truck has on them, and they did cost 1300 for 4 tires mounted balanced and aligned, but that's my preference for tires. and you can bet money, when I do an estimate for snow plowing customers look at tires and take note of what is on the truck. I also have a black tool box on my white truck with tinted windows, the back is dark at 20% and front two are light at 35% it was only $100 and i think it added a lot of style to the truck, as do my customers. I also ordered smoked headlights for my truck which add a nice contrast to the rest of it, especially seeing as how my front bumper is painted black. and my original headlights have a slight crack in them from the dear that ran out in front of my truck last year, so i'm choosing to enhance my trucks look rather then keep it boring. don't get me wrong it is still very simple, nothing flashy about it, I actually hate chrome, so eventually all the chrome will be black or removed one way or another.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
I think you could write off anything for your work truck or truck(s) new exhaust, new tires, whatever size they might be, new seats, I agree with you if a truck is actually going to be worked like towing heavy equipment or even a few ztr's a lift kit is pointless, but to each his own. I keep my trucks stock height, but I like the way aggressive tires look and sound, so that is what my truck has on them, and they did cost 1300 for 4 tires mounted balanced and aligned, but that's my preference for tires. and you can bet money, when I do an estimate for snow plowing customers look at tires and take note of what is on the truck. I also have a black tool box on my white truck with tinted windows, the back is dark at 20% and front two are light at 35% it was only $100 and i think it added a lot of style to the truck, as do my customers. I also ordered smoked headlights for my truck which add a nice contrast to the rest of it, especially seeing as how my front bumper is painted black. and my original headlights have a slight crack in them from the dear that ran out in front of my truck last year, so i'm choosing to enhance my trucks look rather then keep it boring. don't get me wrong it is still very simple, nothing flashy about it, I actually hate chrome, so eventually all the chrome will be black or removed one way or another.
i dont see why people are against it, its the vehicle your in the most as llong as its practical for still working make it as nice and comfortable as you want. you should like and be proud of what you drive and own along with your business
Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have anything against it I just don't see the point. If I see a Pete with chrome bumper/visor with Alcoa's I say "that truck looks sharp. Though if I spent $150k on a truck I'd want it to look sharp too. This might be something for company owners/solo guys who want their truck to look good. I drive a different truck home all the time, the only thing I care about that truck is that it makes me money.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
now there's a first. clients checking out what kind of tires you have for a snow removal estimate. that made me laugh.

half the time I don't even show up in my own vehicle for an estimate of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
I don't have anything against it I just don't see the point. If I see a Pete with chrome bumper/visor with Alcoa's I say "that truck looks sharp. Though if I spent $150k on a truck I'd want it to look sharp too. This might be something for company owners/solo guys who want their truck to look good. I drive a different truck home all the time, the only thing I care about that truck is that it makes me money.
well it isn't something this company owner/solo guy does.

I take the truck off the lot and leave it the way it is. no sense in modifying it when it's just gonna get dirty and scratched up.

that truck that was pictured is the way'd I'd leave it for a work truck. now for strictly personal use I probably wouldn't buy it in the first place cuz I don't like bench seats but for work I'd deal with it.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
now there's a first. clients checking out what kind of tires you have for a snow removal estimate. that made me laugh.

half the time I don't even show up in my own vehicle for an estimate of anything.

well it isn't something this company owner/solo guy does.

I take the truck off the lot and leave it the way it is. no sense in modifying it when it's just gonna get dirty and scratched up.

that truck that was pictured is the way'd I'd leave it for a work truck. now for strictly personal use I probably wouldn't buy it in the first place cuz I don't like bench seats but for work I'd deal with it.
They don't check out what kinda tires i have, but they do notice if my tires are looking a little worn out, or just a highway tread, vs. a more aggressive all terrain or mud terrain tire which is proven to be better in mud/snow/rain.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
They don't check out what kinda tires i have, but they do notice if my tires are looking a little worn out, or just a highway tread, vs. a more aggressive all terrain or mud terrain tire which is proven to be better in mud/snow/rain.
They wouldn't hire me
Out of 4 plow trucks only one has winter deeps.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never had anyone ever check out my rig or ask a single question about my equipment. it's always assumed as I would assume if in contact with an LCO they have the proper equipment or they won't take on the job I have for them.

in fact most snow removal estimates I give over the phone. the one service I can do over the phone because most people have similar sized driveways.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Can you give me an estimate over the internet? Or does it not work that way. After plowing for 16+ hours the last thing I want to do is plow my driveway.