Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah unless the snow is super wet over 6" snow blowing isnt worth it. I can shovel much faster. It really depends on how the drive is setup whether i use my truck or shovel
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

anyone in pittsburgh looking for winter irrigation tech work? hit me up.

need irrigation tech, much work this winter/next spring.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I'm another new guy just getting started for 2013. 30 yr old with a full time job. Gonna be a solo operation, part time. Looking to stay in the south hills and a bit of wash co, Bethel Park, South Park, Peters, McMurray and Cannonsburg. Anyone else in these submarkets too? Looking to start with a 36 or 48 WB, a 21 push, and a small blower. I already have a Stihl FS70 trimmer.

I'm gonna be legit, insurance and licenses, etc. I am going to look at Exmarks tomorrow. Have a business name picked out and plan on having everything submitted early next week. I would like to have everything done and ready to go by mid march at the latest. I am planning on doing some small ads in the Almanac since it goes to the areas I am looking stay it. Is this short sighted?

What is the going rate in this area? I have been told $1/min for mowing. Would you guys recommend the 36 or the 48? Is there anything I am missing relating to the pittsburgh market? How many accounts should I be realistically expecting in my first year? Is the market too saturated or is there always workto be had? I don't plan on low balling just to get accounts, I am doing this for money, not for charity.

Look forward to seeing you guys out this year....
Old 01-05-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
Hey guys, I'm another new guy just getting started for 2013. 30 yr old with a full time job. Gonna be a solo operation, part time. Looking to stay in the south hills and a bit of wash co, Bethel Park, South Park, Peters, McMurray and Cannonsburg. Anyone else in these submarkets too? Looking to start with a 36 or 48 WB, a 21 push, and a small blower. I already have a Stihl FS70 trimmer.

I'm gonna be legit, insurance and licenses, etc. I am going to look at Exmarks tomorrow. Have a business name picked out and plan on having everything submitted early next week. I would like to have everything done and ready to go by mid march at the latest. I am planning on doing some small ads in the Almanac since it goes to the areas I am looking stay it. Is this short sighted?

What is the going rate in this area? I have been told $1/min for mowing. Would you guys recommend the 36 or the 48? Is there anything I am missing relating to the pittsburgh market? How many accounts should I be realistically expecting in my first year? Is the market too saturated or is there always workto be had? I don't plan on low balling just to get accounts, I am doing this for money, not for charity.

Look forward to seeing you guys out this year....
Good Luck this year! there are a few guys on here who are in your area. You sound like you have a decent plan going. Realistically you could have 10 accounts your first year depending on advertising and whatnot. I have a 36 and 48 and I am selling the 36 to get a 52. definitely go for a hydro mower for whatever you decide. If you do good work and have good customer relations, you will have no problem picking up accounts in our market. This site is a wealth of knowledge to an extent. You sometimes have to sort through the bs.
2002 6x12 Single Axle Landscaping Trailer
2013 7x16 Quality Equipment Trailer
1994 5x8 Lone Wolf Trailer

Exmark, Snapper, Ferris, Encore, Billy Goat, Honda, Echo, Stihl, Husky, and Ryan

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=344647
http://www.mcginnlandscaping.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/McG...30091293747444
Old 01-05-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG_Landscaping View Post
Good Luck this year! there are a few guys on here who are in your area. You sound like you have a decent plan going. Realistically you could have 10 accounts your first year depending on advertising and whatnot. I have a 36 and 48 and I am selling the 36 to get a 52. definitely go for a hydro mower for whatever you decide. If you do good work and have good customer relations, you will have no problem picking up accounts in our market. This site is a wealth of knowledge to an extent. You sometimes have to sort through the bs.
Just exactly what I would say... work hard and don't get discouraged if things don't go your way. I would say 1-10 customers would be expected in year 1, better if you're good at what you do and can really impress people enough to give your name out.

I also will have an eXmark 36" Metro up for sale in spring, it's only a belt drive but you'll pay a heck of a lot less for that than a hydro and it's in near new condition.

2014 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 4x4 Dump
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500
2013 7x16 Big Tex
2010 6x10 Big Tex
Buyers 2YD Poly Spreader
52" Scag Cheetah
48" Exmark Turf Tracer
48" Exmark Viking
18HP Little Wonder Vac
Toro Snowblowers
Stihl Handhelds

www.prestonlawnscapes.com

My work - http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351577&page=13
Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, I'm the same new guy that posted above. I figured I would make a name for the company since I just registered it and I only had one post.

I went to the Exmark dealer and I'm pretty much sold on the Viking 48" with a back pack blower and the new Toro 30 push mower. I know the mower isn't a Pro grade mower but I think I can still get my money back out of it since I am planning on using it for back yards I cant get the 48 into, and trim mowing. Your thoughts on this?

As for advertising, I am planning on doing local ads in the Almanac, my other half wants to walk neighbor hoods and pass out fliers since she wants to get out walk/jog more anyway. My other idea is to offer new customers a $10 discount on their first mow if they let me put a small yard sign in their yard for one week, to be removed at the next service, and a free mow for refering a new customer in the neighborhood after the second cut at the new house.

Anyone done something like this? Also, how are most the LCO's when they see others?

Thanks again for all the info!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
Hey guys, I'm the same new guy that posted above. I figured I would make a name for the company since I just registered it and I only had one post.

I went to the Exmark dealer and I'm pretty much sold on the Viking 48" with a back pack blower and the new Toro 30 push mower. I know the mower isn't a Pro grade mower but I think I can still get my money back out of it since I am planning on using it for back yards I cant get the 48 into, and trim mowing. Your thoughts on this?

As for advertising, I am planning on doing local ads in the Almanac, my other half wants to walk neighbor hoods and pass out fliers since she wants to get out walk/jog more anyway. My other idea is to offer new customers a $10 discount on their first mow if they let me put a small yard sign in their yard for one week, to be removed at the next service, and a free mow for refering a new customer in the neighborhood after the second cut at the new house.

Anyone done something like this? Also, how are most the LCO's when they see others?

Thanks again for all the info!
I would stay away from the toro 30. Ive heard nothing but bad from people who have used them. I was planning on getting one and decided against it. Look at honda. Even if its only the homeowner grade. You will be better off. As for discount i wouldnt do it on the first cut. Some people will use you once and not again. If you need signs made quicksigns in coraopolis is one of the best around. Also i use a t shirt guy near butler but hes good. The best advice i can give is make a website (fatcow is easy to use) and write a well written and laid out craigslist ad with a link to your website. Did you look into insurance yet?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG_Landscaping View Post
I would stay away from the toro 30. Ive heard nothing but bad from people who have used them. I was planning on getting one and decided against it. Look at honda. Even if its only the homeowner grade. You will be better off. As for discount i wouldnt do it on the first cut. Some people will use you once and not again. If you need signs made quicksigns in coraopolis is one of the best around. Also i use a t shirt guy near butler but hes good. The best advice i can give is make a website (fatcow is easy to use) and write a well written and laid out craigslist ad with a link to your website. Did you look into insurance yet?
Posted via Mobile Device
I have my ins agent getting me qutoes for general liability insurance and looking into auto insurance options. I was thinking I could do the $10 off when the first two are payed in advance. That way it ensures a return trip since I have to come back to mow, my sign is in the neighborhood for a week and I get two mows out of it. I just registered the domain name today and set up my email. Haven't done much for web design as of now. Just a simple landing page.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Hello, I am looking to start up My LC co in 2013, I am From Southern Butler County and will be looking to service S Butler and N Allegheny.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseman View Post
Hello, I am looking to start up My LC co in 2013, I am From Southern Butler County and will be looking to service S Butler and N Allegheny.
I serve most of that area. Competitive market but plenty of business to be had if you do a good job. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
n'at!