Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Since Nitroman is MIA...

Can anyone providing 6 applications or more per year explain to me what 2 applications you apply during a 3 month heat wave/summer drought that will improve the quality of your customers lawn?

I have asked this question 3-4 times and have yet to get a response.

If you don't have a good response...does that mean that the application may not really be needed?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Since Nitroman is MIA...

Can anyone providing 6 applications or more per year explain to me what 2 applications you apply during a 3 month heat wave/summer drought that will improve the quality of your customers lawn?

I have asked this question 3-4 times and have yet to get a response.

If you don't have a good response...does that mean that the application may not really be needed?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fe and K are always good during those times, as long as its not 100 degrees and no rain.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No rain is the key phrase. We had a very rough drought here worse than most of the country but half the US was in a drought. There just was nothing you could put down that would make a huge difference other than summer/ grassy weed control. That still didn't do much considering no rain and 100+ degree heat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2012, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaPineStraw View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

Fe and K are always good during those times, as long as its not 100 degrees and no rain.
We had a blistering drought here for almost 3 months. I am talking NO rain and many days over 90 degrees.

Many companies just like Nitroman and so many others were out applying under these conditions!

Please explain why you would even walk or ride on a lawn this stressed and then how Fe and K improved the quality of the drought sticken turf?

Also explain how the Fe and K gets into the plant (becomes soluable) with no rain and the turf being dormant?

What data do you have to support these applications?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It will not work, you have to have water. Drought always wins.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaPineStraw View Post
It will not work, you have to have water. Drought always wins.
Posted via Mobile Device

I totally agree.

My question stated there was no rain and high heat for three months.

I guess my question is WHAT can be applied during these three months to improve the quality of a lawn.

Not what do you apply in a regular growing season (which we have not had since 2009).
Old 12-12-2012, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If they were applying in those conditions I can only assume it was for the money and not overall health of the lawn.

I'm in NC and I stop applying on fescue during the hot weather June-August. Only apply fungicides for brown patch. When it's in the 90s all the time I don't take the chance of burning the lawn. I state that upfront in my program. I have thought about milorganite or other organic around May, but experts say not to apply fert in the heat.

My warm season gets apps during the summer for fert and thanks to celcius I don't worry about the heat. Still keep an eye on rain though. Many summers I have to stop or delay a round until some good rain arrives.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
If they were applying in those conditions I can only assume it was for the money and not overall health of the lawn.

I'm in NC and I stop applying on fescue during the hot weather June-August. Only apply fungicides for brown patch. When it's in the 90s all the time I don't take the chance of burning the lawn. I state that upfront in my program. I have thought about milorganite or other organic around May, but experts say not to apply fert in the heat.

My warm season gets apps during the summer for fert and thanks to celcius I don't worry about the heat. Still keep an eye on rain though. Many summers I have to stop or delay a round until some good rain arrives.
I totally agree with you!

I guess at the end of the day...there are very few years that it rains here in the summer and even if it does our lawns are still dormant off and on. There is no way other then a very wet summer that a person can apply more then 5 fertilizer apps. I would say atleast 70% of our customers take 4 apps and their lawns are awesome. Yeah you can "add" as many apps as you want to put on lime, gypsum or spot spray ect...but are you truely improving the customers lawn with those apps?

Especially in a drought?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rod, why dont you share your schedule with us so we all can be cool like you? 8 week intervals?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Rod, why dont you share your schedule with us so we all can be cool like you? 8 week intervals?
Posted via Mobile Device
Effeciency,

I find it funny that almost every post I have stated facts and agnomonic questions/information. Yet you say I stir the pot. I love the way you throw out little slams as you have no ground to stand on.

If you want to see my schedule...look at OSU and Purdue's fertilizer recs. I am going the same time of year yet using less N per k then they even recommend due to using 50% SCU.

The way this thread got started was by a guy that is upset that all his customers are not taking 6 applications. He says it isn't fair to his "guys" who works for him and even eludes that he may not spray on certain rounds to make them think they need more apps.

All I am saying is...give the customer what they want and charge them accordingly, give them a sound agronomic program and educate them. If you are applying to a lawn in severe drought...then you are not a professional.

Effeciency why don't you tell me what you would apply to a lawn during a 3 month drought that would improve quality?

There are just too many guys out here going through the motions and they don't even know why.

As an overall industry it is just totally embarassing! And guys that are applying fertilizer to dust in July and August will eventually lose their customer!

Last edited by rcreech; 12-16-2012 at 11:09 AM.