Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

What business should I pursue?

So, I have decided that this is the year (actually 2013) I start my own business, but I have a dilemma. I am the fourth generation of bricklayers in my family, my dad passed away while I was in the military and so did the family business. Should I pursue a tuckpointing business, or should I pursue lawn maintenance?

Lawn maintenance is sustainable and scalable, but doing masonry repairs would allow me to continue the family trade. I am not comfortable laying brick, and I would never do something to someones home that I am not 100% capable of doing. Tuckpointing is what I did from ages 12-19, so I am confident in my abilities, and my brother is really good at it too. I pretty much grew up on a construction site. My mom worked in a bank so my dad took me to work with him and I sat in the truck or played in the sand pile while he and his crew laid brick.

What do you think I could make more money doing, and would you consider tradition if developing a business? I have connections in both industries, and was already told by several people that they will throw work my way. Some of my dads old crew turn down pointing work, and my friend is in landscaping, but only covers one side of town, he said he will give me all the work on my side of the city. Either way, I am excited, but I just need to commit to one or another. I will not do more than one businesses, my dad always told me to specialize and to never be a jack of all trades because they can't do any one thing great.