Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttinggreens View Post
Do they have a septic system?
No septic system or wells on the property. It's in a recently developed sub division with sewer lines and water provided by the city.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
No septic system or wells on the property. It's in a recently developed sub division with sewer lines and water provided by the city.
Seems to me that there has to be some problem with the city's plumbing for there to be that much water all the time... The simple thing to do is what is known as a perc test in which you dig a cubic foot hole and dump water into it and see what happens...

I have a lwan in which the "Topsoil" was straight red clay that formed a barrier over the sand and the lawn requires very little water as a result... When I dug into it for the first time to plant some trees, I found that,,, after a couple of inches this clay had turned rock hard and bone dry with no moisture in the sand underneath...

A test hole can show you some things... If not,,, call the city next and have them see if their plumbimg is all OK... good luck...
Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Seems to me that there has to be some problem with the city's plumbing for there to be that much water all the time... The simple thing to do is what is known as a perc test in which you dig a cubic foot hole and dump water into it and see what happens...

I have a lwan in which the "Topsoil" was straight red clay that formed a barrier over the sand and the lawn requires very little water as a result... When I dug into it for the first time to plant some trees, I found that,,, after a couple of inches this clay had turned rock hard and bone dry with no moisture in the sand underneath...

A test hole can show you some things... If not,,, call the city next and have them see if their plumbimg is all OK... good luck...
Why do any digging any holes or contact the purveyor before you do a water off meter test?

Photo document the meters dial indicator while water is not being used, wait 5 - 15 mins and take another pic.

If you have a difference in the position of the dial indicator or the leak detector is moving, you have a leak.

I find leaks and buried valves for a living. The toughest part of the job is educating people on simple verification tasks.

Once a leak has been verified or eliminated, proceed in the proper direction.

Drilling or digging exploration or perc holes is one direction to travel but i would call in a soils engineer to consult in any non-leak situation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2012, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Why do any digging any holes or contact the purveyor before you do a water off meter test?

Photo document the meters dial indicator while water is not being used, wait 5 - 15 mins and take another pic.

If you have a difference in the position of the dial indicator or the leak detector is moving, you have a leak.

I find leaks and buried valves for a living. The toughest part of the job is educating people on simple verification tasks.

Once a leak has been verified or eliminated, proceed in the proper direction.

Drilling or digging exploration or perc holes is one direction to travel but i would call in a soils engineer to consult in any non-leak situation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good advice... I believe they claimed there was no water going into the lawn from the house, which leaves incoming and sewer, but you are correct in making absolutely sure...
IMO, calling in a soils engineer to check perculation is like calling an electrical engineer to change a lightbulb... but if people are not comfortable doing a particular thing on their own, it is always better to shift responsibility to some one else who can handle it...
Whenever a client doesn't agree or understand what I'm saying about anything, I always back-off and tell them they should then talk to So&so about it... CYA, is job 1...
Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just from the simple fact that it's a newer sub-division, I'm going to say that there is a severe hard-pan below the surface. Only real way to alleviate this is to do a deep tilling if you can and renovate the lawn. Problem is that if there is irrigation, you'll need to watch out for all the piping.

But ya, if you need to, get some professional assistance on this one.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.