Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
bring on the flames
Let me the first: As long as an "assembly" not a "device" (which cannot be tested) is installed with proper clearance for testing and service (unions on both ends), I see no reason why a RP cannot be installed in a proper below-grade v.b., as long as a sump is installed to drain the relief, if it fails, which, if tested yearly, is highly unlikeable to fail, as the same for DCVAs. I really don't understand the flatlanders negative attitude towards below-grade backflow assemblies, unless they are too lazy to understand how to test/ winterize them.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
You would be surprised.Did a blowout a few weeks ago , system was installed by a landscaper and just about everything one could do wrong they did.
Yeah I know what you mean. a landscaper asked me to help him at one of his sites that he does the irrigation. He had low Pressure from the street and wanted a well but didn't know where to start. So we had a well installed and I tied it all in and wired it up. Then I open a valve box that he installed and saw his Manafold. It was poly with single crimp clamps. I told him when we turn the system on he might have to go around and add some clamps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I see no reason why a RP cannot be installed in a proper below-grade v.b., as long as a sump is installed to drain the relief
You should know better, rarely are they installed in a "proper below-grade v.b."
I've seen many pics on this forum with backflows buried, handles rotting off, test cocks in mud.

Last edited by irritation; 12-12-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I see no reason why a RP cannot be installed in a proper below-grade v.b., as long as a sump is installed to drain the relief
You're kidding, right? Sumps don't fail? Power doesn't go out?

If the level of hazard is high enough that an RP is spec'ed, it need to be installed where the relief can drain fully from gravity alone with no reliance on any other mechanical device. I know they get installed in basements a lot, I guess the justification is that a basement is big and can handle the flood but a VB can't even make that claim. Put it above grade and either put a hot box on it or wrap it with heat tape.

And for the record, I'm in the DCVA's should not be approved devices for irrigation systems camp. I don't think any irrigation BPV should be below grade.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
You should know better, rarely are they installed in a "proper below-grade v.b."
I've seen many pics on this forum with backflows buried, handles rotting off, test cocks in mud.
Biggest problem I see is groundwater and mole fill in boxes. I have always been a fan of inverting a std box under the upper box to allow clearance.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

O.K., I mesed-up on the nomenclature: DCVAs should have 8" of lower clearance, with 12" of gravel sump below., 8" clearance side to side. The RPs should have a "shot-bored" 1/4" per foot drain to a sanitary drain in case the relief valve goes. As I said earlier, with yearly testing and proper book keeping, there are no problems, as the checks and valves should be noted as ready for replacement way before they fail. I wonder how many of you are licensed testers?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohn2000 View Post
Biggest problem I see is groundwater and mole fill in boxes. I have always been a fan of inverting a std box under the upper box to allow clearance.
Or in the case of a winterization today, no backflow or isolation. watermaster valves with sch. 40 unions on the live side.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
O.K., I mesed-up on the nomenclature: DCVAs should have 8" of lower clearance, with 12" of gravel sump below., 8" clearance side to side. The RPs should have a "shot-bored" 1/4" per foot drain to a sanitary drain in case the relief valve goes. As I said earlier, with yearly testing and proper book keeping, there are no problems, as the checks and valves should be noted as ready for replacement way before they fail. I wonder how many of you are licensed testers?
I am, just finished my 3 days of CEU's for renewal last week...

And I can accept a shot bored drain to a sanitary sewer (with a proper air gap) for an RP, if the elevation allows it. I can't accept relying on a sump though.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohn2000 View Post
Or in the case of a winterization today, no backflow or isolation. watermaster valves with sch. 40 unions on the live side.
Is your avatar from my old buddy J.D's "wall of infamy" in Gig Harbor ? If you deal with him, please send my best, he was of great help to me at United Pipe.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I wonder how many of you are licensed testers?
Since 1990, never seen a DCVA on an irrigation system or an RP in a pit.