Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-11-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If I could do it ........ 15 or less. But mowing would have to only be a small side of it if it could be. Honestly I want to be meeting customers and making deals and schmoozing the clients i have rather than digging holes, riding a mower, or slinging mulch. I don't mind doing the work but I'd rather have a business making me money rather than just me working a job (aka solo). But that takes time......
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

if you wanna undermine yourself saying you don't own a business just because your solo go right ahead.

but don't pawn that idea off on the rest of the solo guys.

as far as I am concerned, along with anyone else I know or have come across I own a business with one employee. me, myself and I.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gather your reading comprehension skills and read that I would like a business to make me the money rather than me doing all the labor end of the business to make money. It's fine be a solo it's a business too.

Although to be considered a true business you need to not live with mom and dad. ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
If I could do it ........ 15 or less. But mowing would have to only be a small side of it if it could be. Honestly I want to be meeting customers and making deals and schmoozing the clients i have rather than digging holes, riding a mower, or slinging mulch. I don't mind doing the work but I'd rather have a business making me money rather than just me working a job (aka solo). But that takes time......
Posted via Mobile Device
yep that sure says solo guys own a business to me......
Old 12-12-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
yep that sure says solo guys own a business to me......
You're funny. I already admitted that on a page or so back. Hence the quote from myself below, last sentence. You crack me up.

"Some have lower expectations of what they want in life and others like you and I have much higher ones. Some want a self employed JOB others want a business. Right now I have a self employed job. I want more than that.l
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
You're funny. I already admitted that on a page or so back. Hence the quote from myself below, last sentence. You crack me up.

"Some have lower expectations of what they want in life and others like you and I have much higher ones. Some want a self employed JOB others want a business. Right now I have a self employed job. I want more than that.l
Posted via Mobile Device
yeah now I remember that post.

but I'm solo and I have a BUSINESS not a self employed job.

but the rest of your quote definitely holds true and I couldn't agree more.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would have to agree that just because your solo doesn't mean your not a business owner, There are tons of people that own their own business and run it by themselves, real estate agents come to mind right away, but like MD I want more than that. I'm still struggling with the "Even for the low end guys" why do you not have a desire to make as much as you can, the saying "Profit is not a dirty word" comes to mind. Why does one feel guilty about making money? I can assure you if you go to work for the other guy he doesn't feel guilty about paying you as little as possible for as much work as possible.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

^^ that's what I'm saying id be satisfied with owning a phone and an office.....subbbing out million or 2 in work and making a bunch of money once I have good contractor lineud up I can work when ever from were ever and not break a sweat although I like doin the work now to see diff ways to do it what's more effective and leArn the industry
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2012, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kyles landscape, I agree learning is important but others whom are very successful seem to say its important to find the best employee, who may know more than you, and put them in place to do the job. This enables you to do the business end of things. But that takes time too. Some people may know all the ins and outs but just want to be an employee. Put that person in power so you could sell. All this takes time and getting the work too but I'd rather have a team that makes me look good rather than being a dictator having to be at EVERYTHING.... But the you as the owner have the responsibility of making sure you have the work to keep people employed. My friend who has been in business for 15 years, part time, finally let go of the reigns and has summer help that is great. He makes more money and has more family time. He still works his tail off though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I would have to agree that just because your solo doesn't mean your not a business owner, There are tons of people that own their own business and run it by themselves, real estate agents come to mind right away, but like MD I want more than that. I'm still struggling with the "Even for the low end guys" why do you not have a desire to make as much as you can, the saying "Profit is not a dirty word" comes to mind. Why does one feel guilty about making money? I can assure you if you go to work for the other guy he doesn't feel guilty about paying you as little as possible for as much work as possible.
who ever said I feel guilty about making money?

the desire to make as much as I can is not there because I don't desire to have the things that go along with having that money.

why make millions, spend only thousands and have the rest go to waste when I die. remember I'm single. I don't have anyone to leave money to when I die. seems like a waste to earn a bunch of extra that will go no where and a waste of time and energy earning it.