Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Vander Kooi or JR Huston

Seems these guys are the top two in the industry and I'm trying to decide which system to go with. Here is what I'm looking to accomplish with my purchase: Sharpen my estimating skills, pick up some ideas that I can use in the business, and any other learning I can require. Both have numerous books and software to purchase and they can get kind of pricey. I'm looking for someone with some experience with one or the other or both. I've found a lot of posts about VK most good with some critical. Only a few from Huston but they were all good. Any insight?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one of Vanderkooi's books on amazon for $29 about business management. Pretty good book about estimating and management.

If you are thinking about spending the big bucks on his consulting, this is a good way to see what he is all about.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Lol, so I just posted this same topic without even realizing you did basically the same. I've taken several classes based on Vander Kooi and own the Huston book. They're both beneficial in they're own ways. I would just like to see Vander Kooi update his books more often to show the economic impact on our industry. I mean he's not Carnegie, so I would like to see how he adapts to the industry just how we are having to do. Overall, don't pick either, choose both. Its only to your benefit to read and explore everything you can about our industry.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replys. I think I'll probably go with the Huston book as it seems like everyone says it's good. CLS- I'd love to read both, but not sure I'll have time to get through too many, we'll see.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS_Birmingham View Post
Lol, so I just posted this same topic without even realizing you did basically the same. I've taken several classes based on Vander Kooi and own the Huston book. They're both beneficial in they're own ways. I would just like to see Vander Kooi update his books more often to show the economic impact on our industry. I mean he's not Carnegie, so I would like to see how he adapts to the industry just how we are having to do. Overall, don't pick either, choose both. Its only to your benefit to read and explore everything you can about our industry.
Do you have any of his spreadsheets that go along with the book? If there simple I can probably create my own but if they're going to take hours to recreate and they are worth it, I'll just buy.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieperlc View Post
Do you have any of his spreadsheets that go along with the book? If there simple I can probably create my own but if they're going to take hours to recreate and they are worth it, I'll just buy.
I wish I did. We bought our book online and it came w/o the CD. I've searched all over trying to find those spreadsheets with no luck. Let me know if you are able to locate them, because i'd like to have them as well.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I went to a vander kooi seminar and at the seminar I bought his production book and the landscape management book. I am not sure I would consider $150 or less expensive. It will save you that much every week you don't use it.

Maybe you should go to score or other small business development courses for free. I am going to go sit down and review my books with an adviser tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They are for sale on his website and I also saw them in the planet bookstore.