Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC View Post
I'd like to know how exactly you "accidentally" hit a pile of dog crap with a weedeater??
Never Smile when you weed wack. Keep your mouth closed at all times!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
biggest problem is this time of the year when work runs out, and there's no snow either. You can only save so much money for winter.
it's never enough, last year wasn't enough I started the season in the hole and seemed like I was behind forever, here it is dec again and same thing I'm already anticipating being in the hole before feb or march gets here, it's all the little crap that creeps in during the season that you can't anticipate that eats away your savings, we had two blowers get stolen, I got pushed into a curb and trashed the wheel and tire on the trailer both tires were due anyway so I went ahead and replaced them both on and on and on. Not to mention the customers that think they don't have to pay their bills so you end up in small claims court.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Dot stops
Employees works starts 7:30 not 7:34
Mechanic bills
The fact that we get no respect
Posted via Mobile Device

exactly! And the social hour after they show up late
Old 12-13-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Many of my clients are elderly and some of them live alone. When they see me they come out and they want to talk. It starts with a question and then turns into a story telling session with one story leading into the next. Before you know it 5, 10 minutes have passed and I can't get a word in edgewise. Even when I get a chance to break in and say I enjoy talking to you but I really have a full schedule today, they acknowledge I'm on a schedule but then they keep on talking. I understand they are lonely and I really don't mind if I'm not to busy spending a little time with them. Hey, I could be the lonely old guy someday. I don't know how to break free without seeming rude. Don't know how to solve this problem.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
Many of my clients are elderly and some of them live alone. When they see me they come out and they want to talk. It starts with a question and then turns into a story telling session with one story leading into the next. Before you know it 5, 10 minutes have passed and I can't get a word in edgewise. Even when I get a chance to break in and say I enjoy talking to you but I really have a full schedule today, they acknowledge I'm on a schedule but then they keep on talking. I understand they are lonely and I really don't mind if I'm not to busy spending a little time with them. Hey, I could be the lonely old guy someday. I don't know how to break free without seeming rude. Don't know how to solve this problem.
Know the time it takes you to service the customers and have someone call your phone 5 - 10 minutes after that time. I've done this to customers after a scheduled meeting. I know the ones who have nothing better to do than talk for an hour. I have one of my guys call my phone, I tell the customer I need to take the call and excuse myself saying something came up and I need to be somewhere else RIGHT NOW. I'm sure there are other ways but this has worked for me in the past....
Old 12-13-2012, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The days are never long enough!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Drought, theft.
Then there's inattentive and/or aggressive driving.

After that dog crap doesn't even bother me.

I still remember this one customer...
He was out trying to get an estimate and we ran into it, the dog crap that is.
He was talking about how the current Lco wouldn't even pick it up...
I said, well, you know ...
As I bent over to pick it up, I could see his eyes getting REAL big!
I said all right, I won't do it now since you're here and I can see that what I was about to do would upset you but I have two dogs of my own and it doesn't bother me one bit to just pick it up and chuck it in the woods over there, now I don't mind doing it but it really is not the Lco's responsibility to do this, do you have like a hand shovel or something?

He didn't say another word.
He still has the same Lco.

Last edited by herler; 12-13-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
How much do you spend a year on advertising?
Believe me, I know it's not free but it is cheaper to talk to them.

You understand now, I don't have an advertising budget.
Nothing, zip, zero, zilch.

Because chit chat is cheaper.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You must be solo
Advertising is cheaper when you have workers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

i don't know about you guys but around here I swear that when you run a string trimmer the toads come out of the woodwork.. They jump straight in the thing
Delaware Roof Cleaning

Tags
invoicing , problems , routing , software