Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
who ever said I feel guilty about making money?

the desire to make as much as I can is not there because I don't desire to have the things that go along with having that money.

why make millions, spend only thousands and have the rest go to waste when I die. remember I'm single. I don't have anyone to leave money to when I die. seems like a waste to earn a bunch of extra that will go no where and a waste of time and energy earning it.
Not everyone hoards money for themselves. Believe it or not, there are people who bless others with money that they make. It's not all about you and you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
who ever said I feel guilty about making money?

the desire to make as much as I can is not there because I don't desire to have the things that go along with having that money.

why make millions, spend only thousands and have the rest go to waste when I die. remember I'm single. I don't have anyone to leave money to when I die. seems like a waste to earn a bunch of extra that will go no where and a waste of time and energy earning it.
You're crazy. So you'd rather not make more money then you need to live in a basement? Wouldn't a child want to move out of their parents home and be living on their own in their own home? You'll never do that if you leave money on the table. Then again, maybe you LIKE being a grown man (if thats the case) living at home with his parents.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Not everyone hoards money for themselves. Believe it or not, there are people who bless others with money that they make. It's not all about you and you.
Posted via Mobile Device
spare me your self righteous bull sheot about being a good human being and donating money to others.

i'm certainly not gonna work my tail off to make millions just to donate to others in need. if i have money leftover after i'm done working and making what i personally want to make fine. but i'm not gonna put in extra hours at work and take on extra business just to have money to donate.

find me one person who would work extra for the sole purpose of having that money to donate to others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
You're crazy. So you'd rather not make more money then you need to live in a basement? Wouldn't a child want to move out of their parents home and be living on their own in their own home? You'll never do that if you leave money on the table. Then again, maybe you LIKE being a grown man (if thats the case) living at home with his parents.
where have you been all this time orange?

i'm 31, live with my parents with no free rides. spent 4 years from the age of 19-22 on my own in an apartment and moved back home. i'm single, plan to stay that way the rest of my life.

DUH i don't mind living with my parents.

i do wish you'd get off the living in the basement joke though. it's getting old considering i don't live in the basement and considering i split all utilities plus property tax and mortgage with my parents and pay a monthly rent equivalent of a one bedroom apartment.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

One of the problems with our society now is that "kids" tend move out and away from their parents, rather than adding a wing to the house or building a house out back (or living in the basement) like they used to in "the old days." It used to be that kids stuck around and helped out their parents in their old age. Now when Mom and/or dad can no longer take care of themselves, the norm is to send them off to a convalescent home. I moved back to my home town to be closer to my parents in their old age...moving back in wasn't a very attractive option to me since I had a family and my mom drove me nuts. I'm proud of the fact that thanks largely to my committment to helping them, both of my parent's died in the comfort of their home. In fact the reason I left my former career and started my lawn care/landscaping business was to better be able to take care of my mom after my dad passed. So you won't see me faulting anyone for living with their parents...ok, I might tease a little, lol.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
spare me your self righteous bull sheot about being a good human being and donating money to others.

i'm certainly not gonna work my tail off to make millions just to donate to others in need. if i have money leftover after i'm done working and making what i personally want to make fine. but i'm not gonna put in extra hours at work and take on extra business just to have money to donate.

find me one person who would work extra for the sole purpose of having that money to donate to others?

where have you been all this time orange?

i'm 31, live with my parents with no free rides. spent 4 years from the age of 19-22 on my own in an apartment and moved back home. i'm single, plan to stay that way the rest of my life.

DUH i don't mind living with my parents.

i do wish you'd get off the living in the basement joke though. it's getting old considering i don't live in the basement and considering i split all utilities plus property tax and mortgage with my parents and pay a monthly rent equivalent of a one bedroom apartment.
Your response doesn't really surprise me at all. Everything you claim to want or do is about yourself, pleasing yourself, doing for yourself, etc. There are plenty of people that give away money to others. Just pointing out that not EVERYBODY is all about themselves.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This thread has obviously derailed from my original topic but it's ok, there were enough answers for that question....

Quote:

find me one person who would work extra for the sole purpose of having that money to donate to others?.
I don't think someone starts a business to say to themselves "I'm going to work 80hrs/wk just so I can donate my money to someone else". What truly happens is they set out to make the most money they can because they want things or just want to prove they can build a large business. When all the effort pays off and they can afford the things they want and give their families good or easier lives they realize something else. They have it really good now and there are those less fortunate. Instead of hoarding all their money or buying more unnecessary things they realize that because of others who purchased their goods/services they became well off, wealthy, comfortable, etc... There is a feeling that they should give back to the community that supported them. It could be donating services at the holiday time such as giving Christmas trees or snow plowing for our troops who are overseas. It could be buying out all the local grocery stores turkeys during thanksgiving and donating them to soup kitchens or needy families. Or maybe it's just giving to local charities. Unless someone is just a cold hearted scrooge it feels good to give back, even if you're not wealthy. Every year I have customers send me Christmas gifts such as money or gift cards. They ALREADY pay me but feel good about giving and most of them have money. It's the grumpy miserable ones who maybe don't have enough that never give..... It's so easy to give back or just give.

Quote:
I hate to point this out but they make comedy movies about guys like you that are older living with their parents....... But I will agree that it has no effect on me. You don't live by me nor work in my neighborhoods so what you choose to do is just that, your choice. But you do open yourself up for criticism, just like anyone doing things out of the ordinary.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Your response doesn't really surprise me at all. Everything you claim to want or do is about yourself, pleasing yourself, doing for yourself, etc. There are plenty of people that give away money to others. Just pointing out that not EVERYBODY is all about themselves.
I will agree with this completely. Just couldn't get myself to write it....
Old 12-13-2012, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
One of the problems with our society now is that "kids" tend move out and away from their parents, rather than adding a wing to the house or building a house out back (or living in the basement) like they used to in "the old days." It used to be that kids stuck around and helped out their parents in their old age. Now when Mom and/or dad can no longer take care of themselves, the norm is to send them off to a convalescent home. I moved back to my home town to be closer to my parents in their old age...moving back in wasn't a very attractive option to me since I had a family and my mom drove me nuts. I'm proud of the fact that thanks largely to my committment to helping them, both of my parent's died in the comfort of their home. In fact the reason I left my former career and started my lawn care/landscaping business was to better be able to take care of my mom after my dad passed. So you won't see me faulting anyone for living with their parents...ok, I might tease a little, lol.
I agree with you Darryl. I live near ALL of my family and I always want to keep my parents from living in one of those awful places and will do what I can to do so. I jokingly tell my parents that they can sell all that they have and I'll build a small 1 bedroom house in my backyard and use the rest to pay for in home care while my siblings and I fill in the voids. I've never lived far from them but my wife and I made the choice to move closer so our kids can easily spend time with grandparents and cousins. I'm a definitely family man.

But that doesn't mean you need to live with them your whole life.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think anyone has the goal of working to make money and then donate all of it. I know i dont BUT with that said I, living with my parents (only 18 tho) have experienced times where we didn't think the bills where gonna get paid but with the help of others to willingly help us to get through it we did. My point is that you never know when things may go south and you will need help form your community and neighbors. So instead of saying "Well I'm not giving any of my money away" I try to help others out so if I need help again people won't be like "well he didn't do anything for me so why should I"

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 12-13-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So, you guys bill monthly or not? LOL