Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

commercial properties

I searched and really didnt find much help...

Im in the process of aquiring commercial accounts. I know how to bid them and half the time im asking managers what they are paying, and if its not a terribly cheap price i slightly beat it. Out of half the managers who love me im still not getting anything going... I have $25,000 in bids out right now and nothing yet... any advice?? Is it just the market or am i taking the wrong approach.. Thanks guys.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know if I would be asking "managers what they are paying", makes you sound desperate to them or they think you don't know what your doing. It's their job to get the job done at the lowest cost much of the time. I doubt if many managers would be honest about what they are willing to pay.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Eh been using that strategy for years with my former company and it actually would let us know whos happy and whos not.. But yeh i may go ahead and cut that.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
I searched and really didnt find much help...

Im in the process of aquiring commercial accounts. I know how to bid them and half the time im asking managers what they are paying, and if its not a terribly cheap price i slightly beat it. Out of half the managers who love me im still not getting anything going... I have $25,000 in bids out right now and nothing yet... any advice?? Is it just the market or am i taking the wrong approach.. Thanks guys.
How do they love you if you don't do their work? have you worked with them in the past?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is a good strategy if you a rapport with the manager and don't plan on bidding or taking over the job. It gives you an idea on what your market is and how to bid other commercial accounts appropriately while knowing a little about your competition.

I don't think it is a good approach is you are seriously wanting the job and the manager knows you want the job. I highly doubt you would be getting 100% honest answers. You come off as being desperate. They might be thinking "If he is so great and busy, why is he coming around trying to steal jobs"

A different approach could be simply asking if their current service to their satisfaction.

Beating the current companies bid by a few dollars isn't going to get you far if they are already satisfied with who they are using
Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSlandco View Post
How do they love you if you don't do their work? have you worked with them in the past?
Love me persoanlly... Im a talker and love to banter back and forth. When i go back for follow ups theres smiles and joking fun. Thats what i like to do with all of them.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
That is a good strategy if you a rapport with the manager and don't plan on bidding or taking over the job. It gives you an idea on what your market is and how to bid other commercial accounts appropriately while knowing a little about your competition.

I don't think it is a good approach is you are seriously wanting the job and the manager knows you want the job. I highly doubt you would be getting 100% honest answers. You come off as being desperate. They might be thinking "If he is so great and busy, why is he coming around trying to steal jobs"

A different approach could be simply asking if their current service to their satisfaction.

Beating the current companies bid by a few dollars isn't going to get you far if they are already satisfied with who they are using
I wouldn't consider it stealing jobs. Every property is fair game. We are busy and continue growing. I have a sales rep that walks into properties all day trying to take over new accounts. If you can provide a better service for around the same price as your competitors then go for it and try to pick up as many properties as you can.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2012, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post

I guess i should throw out partly what i do when randomly visiting places... I do walk in, introduce myself and what im doing there. Then ask if theyre happy with the current company. If they say for the most part, then i go into well whats some things you dont like, then it goes where it goes from there.. If they say theyre not happy then i move into a big personal sales role. Later in the convo when theres been laughs and they feel comfortable with me do i inquire about the price. Around here all they want is to save money and have communication... And as long as i can make good money and still take the right ime to do the job then im good with it. Several places i didnt even bid because the price has been shattered.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSlandco View Post
I wouldn't consider it stealing jobs. Every property is fair game. We are busy and continue growing. I have a sales rep that walks into properties all day trying to take over new accounts. If you can provide a better service for around the same price as your competitors then go for it and try to pick up as many properties as you can.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ive thought about the sales rep approach... Hows that working and how do you base his pay?

Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
Ive thought about the sales rep approach... Hows that working and how do you base his pay?
It works out Ok, all sales reps are different. Some are better then others. Some are good at getting new clients some are good at selling to existing clients.
Pay-
There are a lot of different ways that people pay. A skilled sales rep will take a low salary with high commission as oppose to a not so skilled rep that will take a higher salary and a lower commission. But everyones different , there are skilled reps that want a secure and steady paycheck so they take the higher salary.
I met a guy that was in construction, and as a side job he was sort of a sales rep. He would charge the landscaper 50% of what the property would pay for the first month as a finders fee. All he would do was get people in the door and make a killing on the side from his everyday job.
Posted via Mobile Device