48" Exmark Viking
18HP Little Wonder Vac
Toro Snowblowers
Stihl Handhelds

www.prestonlawnscapes.com

My work - http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351577&page=13
Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

To me, it looks like you're falling in to the trap that a lot of DIYers do when it comes to logo design and that's overdoing it with elements and colors that just don't work together.

First one is too dated, 80's airbrushed looking. The background sun's gradient will likely prove inconsistent in various applications (ie, flat color vs. 4 color process). The "I" is almost too abstract, leaving it looking more like a divider between Rad and Ant. The drop shadowing of the letters is too much and creates more a visual blur (overall fuzziness) and less a shadow or depth.

Second one also has an extremely abstract "I", this time looking more like a palm tree and less like an...Illinois...tree. Not digging the green cross, either. It looks like a sword going through the letters, which then begs the question, "What does a sword have to do with a lawn care company called "Radiant"?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Swords are cool.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Haha well thanks for the opinions i appreciate it, it does help.
i think i will keep its a little more simple.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I read the first one as "rad ant".
Old 12-13-2012, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What you never see an ant tear up the bmx track? hah
Old 12-14-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Love the logo threads. For the love of God spend the $100 and have someone who knows what they are doing take care of it for you. It is going to represent your company for years to come!

News flash! Just because we can do wonderful things with lawns and landscapes doesn't mean we are experts at everything. Then we go to our lawn care peers for advice on logos, cracks me up. Why not find some logo "experts" and run it by them?

We are service companies and I am amazed at how often other service companies are not hired to help us (logo designer in this case). Can you do a better job than a homeowner on their lawn? Yes, because you are a pro! If everyone did everything themselves we wouldn't have jobs!

The amount of time you may spend on the logo to truly get it right would better off spent perfecting a business process, budgeting or about 500 other things that will put more cash in your pocket than what it costs to have a pro logo.

I do realize it is fun to do something different like logo design. Thinking about business all year gets old and playing logo designer is a nice change of pace.

I read these all year and about once a year I can't hold it in any longer. Sorry your thread was the one I replied to. Please hire a pro, you will be glad you did.

Ok, rant over. Happy holidays!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyK View Post
News flash! Just because we can do wonderful things with lawns and landscapes doesn't mean we are experts at everything. Then we go to our lawn care peers for advice on logos, cracks me up. Why not find some logo "experts" and run it by them?
He did as I am.

I agree that if you don't have the skills, please hire it out. It is the face of your company and brand. If you want to DIY it, scratch your creative itch, but hand it off for final design and proper formatting.

As for asking peers for advice, there's no harm in it, and those of us who have been here for a while know that the review request season has officially begun. Sometimes they do get detailed advice from people that are actually logo/design/branding "experts", and not just "It's great!" or "Bro, it sucks!".
Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, good point. There are some on here that do know what they are talking about and many others that think they do. Weeding it out can be tricky.

The other tricky thing for some guys doing their own is they over estimate what they think they know as well as become attached to their design. Kind of like the homeowner who wants their grass cut shorter than it should be because they think it is better to cut it shorter. They think they know but they don't. It is hard not to spend time on something you create and be open about it. I don't think handing off something at the end for tweaking is a good plan either. They will make it the best it can be but it probably won't be as nice if they took it from the beginning and created the whole thing. Kind of like us taking over an abused lawn. For a while all we can do is make it look as good as we can. If we had the lawn from the beginning we may have chosen a different grass seed, graded it differently, not created awkward mowing situations, kept up on maintenance, etc. and it would look a 100 times better.

For what it is worth, having worked in advertising and marketing managing 1000s of projects, working day to day with graphic designers and creative directors I have seen that the best outcomes are when the designers are given basic info and then turned loose. Much better results than when a marketing director or client dictates colors, fonts, graphic elements, etc. The best advice I can give if you are serious about logo development is to go to a pro with a strong portfolio and let them run the show. Like if you want the best lawn you go to a true pro and let them run the show.

Review season is here, may be time for me to take a break...