Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

excavator and tilt top trailer

Looking at picking up a 200 series ex, so I am thinking of getting a tri 25 ton tilt trailer. Is the tilt deck going to be easier to load? any body running one?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My dad has a tilt top and used it to move a 200 Komatsu for years. I loaded and unloaded the machine many times and it works just fine. I know neither one of us like the trailer because its hard to use for other things such as hauling two machines on it, Hauling a machine and attachments or a machine and trees/rock. I know i will never own one and i know he is looking for a tri axle tag with the front axle a lift.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well those were my same thoughts. However we have a 20 and 15 top tag. I thought it would be easier to load a track machine since you dont have to break over the top of a tag. This trailer would be mainly used for the ex or moving a dirt pan.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am maxed out with a long stick 160 with thumb on a 25T triaxle with ramps on my bridge weight. I have a combined weight of about 75K. I can go up to 77K.

I got a ramped trailer instead of tilt deck. I wanted the ability to load a mini ex and skid steer on the trailer as well. While it is possible to still do that with a tilt deck its more tricky. I like the ramps. No worries in the Winter with no being able to climb a machine onto the trailer. Just a thought.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer tilts to ramps for trailers that will haul more excavators than anything else. I just hate the breakover with ramp trailers. But multiple machines and backhoes are definitely better off riding on a ramp trailer. The Eager Beaver 3 axle with front axle lift is a pretty slick setup, I wish the outfit I'm with would've have bought something like that instead of the POS I drag around.

Go hard, go fast, or go home