Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
teachers carrying could be extremely good thing but would have to be extremely careful and on their toes at all times that a kid could never get a hold of it or see it imo
it could be but for those reasons it will never happen, sad but true.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
yes teachers.....as long as they are educated on guns, and how to use them, they would probably agree....it won't ever happen so you can settle right down.
can't imagine anyone agreeing it should be mandatory.

I'm not saying letting a teacher carry his or her firearm wouldn't be a bad idea but I don't think it should ever be mandatory.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lets leave the teachers aside for a second...

Do you think the thief or thieves have any intention of allowing you to use that pistol on them?
Even if they accidentally let you get one in, you shoot and the thief dies, you go to prison.

It is very simple, you only intended to shoot the thief in the leg but you accidentally hit the main artery and within minutes the thief is dead, you may think you were in the right but the thief may have had family in some cases wealthy and you have to hope now the lawyers and the judge have mercy on you, in many states vigilante justice is not well tolerated.

Do you think they even intend to be in your line of sight when they plan on stealing from you?
The simple answer is no, and chances are great those pistols will not help you.
Here is what I found out recently when my phone got stolen...
Your equipment is still at risk.

Yes, I was in the back yard, all the guns in the world do little good when the truck isn't in sight.

When I called the police to file a report, one thing stood out:
You NEED the SERIAL NUMBER of the item that got taken!
Without this serial number the police can not (and most likely will not) file a report.
Even if an inexperienced officer does file it, the chances of getting your stuff back without said SERIAL NUMBER are nil.
Your stuff, and 100's other just like it, no serial number, no report, no recovery.

That is the main reason why most of the time when something is stolen from an LCO and they call the police, nothing happens.
Because the LCO doesn't have or is otherwise unable to provide to the police the SERIAL NUMBER of the stolen item.

You want to get back at thieves, then keep a detailed record of the SERIAL NUMBER of every thing you own, every saw, every trimmer, every mower, your phone, your computer, every single thing.
Keep this record in a safe place.

And when something is taken from you, at least you have that serial number so you can file the report.

Then let the police do their job.
That is who is in charge of those things.
Not these pistoleros, when something is stolen all these gun toting machos won't be around then, oh no, they talk all hot and shot here but just you wait, now get those serial numbers on record because it's just you and the police.

Last edited by herler; 12-15-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

may not help with theft when you can't see it no that is a given. It will help when the intruder breaks into your shop in the night and sets the alarm off. My shop is next to my house so once again if not then no it will not help. It will also help if the person decides to break into your house and threaten your family. Or your in a public place and a shooter enters and opens fire
Old 12-15-2012, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Member

The liberals in Washington are already using this tragedy to start pushing more gun control laws. The gun control laws that make it illegal for a citizen with a legal CCW permit that works in a public school to carry a gun in their workplace make that a very convenient place for this sick people to commit these crimes. It's illegal to murder, but it didn't stop this guy today. Anyone that thinks making guns illegal would stop these guys is absolutely stupid. I agree it should never be mandatory for anyone to carry a weapon in the schools. But it shouldn't be illegal for staff, parents, and other law abiding adults that are licensed to carry to have their gun on them in these schools. It may or may not deter these people from starting the rampage, but if it stops the rampage one or two or 28 lives sooner, it's worth it to have armed citizens on campus.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Lets leave the teachers aside for a second...

Do you think the thief or thieves have any intention of allowing you to use that pistol on them?
Even if they accidentally let you get one in, you shoot and the thief dies, you go to prison.

It is very simple, you only intended to shoot the thief in the leg but you accidentally hit the main artery and within minutes the thief is dead, you may think you were in the right but the thief may have had family in some cases wealthy and you have to hope now the lawyers and the judge have mercy on you, in many states vigilante justice is not well tolerated

Do you think they even intend to be in your line of sight when they plan on stealing from you?
The simple answer is no, and chances are great those pistols will not help you.
Here is what I found out recently when my phone got stolen...
Your equipment is still at risk.

Yes, I was in the back yard, all the guns in the world do little good when the truck isn't in sight.

When I called the police to file a report, one thing stood out:
You NEED the SERIAL NUMBER of the item that got taken!
Without this serial number the police can not (and most likely will not) file a report.
Even if an inexperienced officer does file it, the chances of getting your stuff back without said SERIAL NUMBER are nil.
Your stuff, and 100's other just like it, no serial number, no report, no recovery.

That is the main reason why most of the time when something is stolen from an LCO and they call the police, nothing happens.
Because the LCO doesn't have or is otherwise unable to provide to the police the SERIAL NUMBER of the stolen item.

You want to get back at thieves, then keep a detailed record of the SERIAL NUMBER of every thing you own, every saw, every trimmer, every mower, your phone, your computer, every single thing.
Keep this record in a safe place.

And when something is taken from you, at least you have that serial number so you can file the report.

Then let the police do their job.
That is who is in charge of those things.
Not these pistoleros, when something is stolen all these gun toting machos won't be around then, oh no, they talk all hot and shot here but just you wait, now get those serial numbers on record because it's just you and the police.
you are absolutely right, criminals have more rights then someone saving many lives, in our wonderful court system everything is so screwed up these days that IF one of the teachers did legally carry a gun and it was fully legal to have it in the school, he or she would probably still end up going to jail.....
Old 12-15-2012, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can understand the mentality of someone thinking that if they own a gun, they will be safer and better protected, however, the statistics from many sources show that gun owners are more likely to be injured or killed by a gun. The U.S. gun deaths are staggering when compared to other high income countries or other countries with stringent gun control laws. More guns are not the answer. Gun related injuries and deaths among children is considerably higher in the U.S. Having guns in the classroom would only create more opportunities for anyone to gain access to a gun. I know Americans love their guns, but too many statistics show that looser gun laws cause more gun related fatalities.
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 12-15-2012, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven1277 View Post
I can understand the mentality of someone thinking that if they own a gun, they will be safer and better protected, however, the statistics from many sources show that gun owners are more likely to be injured or killed by a gun. The U.S. gun deaths are staggering when compared to other high income countries or other countries with stringent gun control laws. More guns are not the answer. Gun related injuries and deaths among children is considerably higher in the U.S. Having guns in the classroom would only create more opportunities for anyone to gain access to a gun. I know Americans love their guns, but too many statistics show that looser gun laws cause more gun related fatalities.
What statistics show that? Statistics show that every state that has adopted concealed carry laws has had a reduction in violent crime. Statistics show that 100% of criminals do not give a damn if it's against the law. If they did, they wouldn't be criminals.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Why can't we have one legally authorized person in every school that is allowed to use deadly force if the situation calls for it. The cops can't be everywhere all the time, and these guys come out of nowhere and have to be dealt with immediatly.
The HS I went to had two security guards and two SRO's (School Resource Officer) which are county police assigned to patrol the inside, and outside of the campus. The school also had 400+ Security cameras. We had fights...but not once was a gun ever involved. Not to mention, all the rooms had a call button that went straight to the security office, once pushed EVERYONE in administration and the security will be their within minutes. I do agree that schools need at least one armed guard that can be ready with the appropriate equipment for the job. Also, all our doors were locked during school hours...if you needed in, you'd have to go through the main office, unless a student let you in through a side door...which if you're packing heat, I doubt they would.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven1277 View Post
I don't want to start a heated debate, but gun control isn't an issue. Refer here.