Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

landscaper referrall out of my area

I have a local landscaper that sends me business every so often. He actually gave me 10 to quote last week....so hoping I can get them do a good job and prove myself to him.

He recently did an home that I would guess valused at $500k +, but it is about an hour away. He sodded part of the lawn with bermuda and sprigged the rest. This was all back in late summer.

This home is an hour away so 2 hour drive time and he says its around 3 acres and wide open. So with my z spray I might be on the lawn for 45 minutes. This is also a very nice neighborhood from what I can tell on google so with a little advertising I might do ok if I get the job.

I quoted it without looking and made it clear that the price might change.

I figured $200 per acre + $200 for time/drive there and back. So I'm looking at an $800 charge. I do 6 applications just including weed and fert. Grub, disease, aeration all extra.

Would you do it for that? The landscaper emailed the home owner and he got a reply asking about the total price...not sure if that was shock or not.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's $266 an acre.

I don't know what going rate is in that area but it seems pretty high.

Would I do it for that? Sure, but I only get 150 an acre for high end resis.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah I got 185 per acre last year but will be raising it to 200 this year. Plus this was sight unseen and just a ball park. I will need to see how the landscaper an customer would like to handle it.

I factored in an extra 200 since its my only one there if i get it and its an hour drive there and a hour back.

Will tell them I had to add drive time but if I get some neighbors I would gladly drop te price a little.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

that would be a thorn in my side to be commited to a single acct an hour out of my territory, good question is do you really want to expand out to that area? i find myself tightening the belt each year- i covered 11 towns this year and likely cut down to 10 for next year
Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I sure would do it for your quote

Seems like you pick a job up that far away another one comes your way and makes it cost efective.

Well heck most of my work is 45 min away

Charles Cue
Old 12-14-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the quality of lawn, yes? I would have made the effort to meet with the customer and see a lawn at that price. If the lawn is good quality (free of weeds, thick, properly maintained, and irrigated) you probably wouldn't need 6 apps to satisify, and speaking to the customer could have confirmed and explained that. Since its so far way, you could also use a slow release fert which would increase application fee, but lessen services, depending on their threshold. I feel that its always good to gather expectations from the owner before quoting work.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership