Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-13-2012, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I will add stabil to the gas in the storage cans to use in the spring again, but I drain the gas in the machines so the carb does not varnish up.

Also, I spray some engine fogger in the engine for long term storage too.

Lets max out the hits my explains post count.[/SIZE]
Click here for my work thread
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 12-14-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use some Old Spice deodorant on my mowers so they don't stick so much.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i just add stabil and run everything about 5 min and that's it. i just did a yard today. really the off season is only 2 months here. jan and feb. it does slow down in nov and dec but you are still working. new season starts middle of march.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

According the the 2 master mechanics I talk to, adding some Sta-bil to the gas is about the only thing both of them recommend and aren't dead set on this.

They are more concerned about the batteries in the mowers and heavy machines. So, I use a battery tender on all of my stuff. They also are big on making sure your machines get a full check up to check for any problems and parts that might need replacing or parts where it is a good idea to go ahead replace.

I can always go out and buy a new blower or trimmer, but a 10K+ machine would not be ideal

I run Stabil and Sea Foam in my gas and mix year round.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i just add stabil and run everything about 5 min and that's it. i just did a yard today. really the off season is only 2 months here. jan and feb. it does slow down in nov and dec but you are still working. new season starts middle of march.
I'm curious where in the south east are you. you don't get snow in dec or march???
Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I'm curious where in the south east are you. you don't get snow in dec or march???
I am in Atlanta and have not even put the heat on this year. I have had a few nights where I switch to heat, but we have not even had a deep frost yet.
I was still cutting roses for my Mom out of the garden during Thanksgiving.

While it can get very cold here and even snow, 2 days later the temp is back up to the mid 60s, so snow it not an issue.

Very realisitic to have only 2-3 months downtime before you are firing up your mower
Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I usually have about 4 months of down time. regardless of the weather is actually doing.

this year and last I could still be out doing fall clean ups. typically we stop the last week of nov first week of dec. don't start back up until the last week of march first week of april.

now I'm not in the south east but since heat rises I figured the south would see snow before up north guys like myself do.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a little north of Atlanta and we work year around. Now in jan and feb we only visit properties once but I never have winterized anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
According the the 2 master mechanics I talk to, adding some Sta-bil to the gas is about the only thing both of them recommend and aren't dead set on this.

They are more concerned about the batteries in the mowers and heavy machines. So, I use a battery tender on all of my stuff. They also are big on making sure your machines get a full check up to check for any problems and parts that might need replacing or parts where it is a good idea to go ahead replace.

I can always go out and buy a new blower or trimmer, but a 10K+ machine would not be ideal

I run Stabil and Sea Foam in my gas and mix year round.
I have one piece of equipment with a battery and I just remove it and bring it inside for the winter.

run the handhelds dry, stabil in the mowers and I'm done.

I wait till just before my season starts to replace anything broken, grease, oil change, etc.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I have one piece of equipment with a battery and I just remove it and bring it inside for the winter.

run the handhelds dry, stabil in the mowers and I'm done.

I wait till just before my season starts to replace anything broken, grease, oil change, etc.
I'm just the opposite. I used to wait until before the season, but now get everything ready to roll the first day of cutting the next spring shortly after shutting down for the winter. I have all my blades sharpened (15 sets), replaced the grinding wheel on my Mag-n-Matic, replaced the air hose on my compressor and have everything completely full of fuel. Come spring, all I have to do is hook up the trailer and head out. Much less stressful, for myself, than having to get everything ready at the last minute.