Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-15-2012, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with others that it should have been cleaned prior to disassembly. Also at 4 years I would have replaced all of the fuel lines, the primer bulb and the fuel filter. I hate to say it but you really only did a half assed job on this carb rebuild. All needles and jets should have been removed and all of the orifices cleaned out. You're setting yourself up for more fuel issues in the not too distant future by taking these shortcuts. Sorry but that's the way I see it. Your opinion may differ from mine.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Richard, thanks for the suggestions.

In my experience, one carb repair is about par for the life of machines like this. This repair was done part way through its life, and I did not need to be concerned about "more fuel issues ... not too distant future..." It lasted long enough for another major problem, so having a good carb on the machine with a failed drive line isn't of much value. I have never replaced needles and jets on any carb rebuild, and never been worse for it in the future. Apparently, these parts have a much greater lifespan than the diaphragms.

This trimmer now sits in the shop, and I'm wondering if it should be repaired. The square shank on the drive line has worn out, and will no longer engage with the clutch plate. It is on my list to disassemble to see how many parts are required to put it back into service. It has been replaced.

I've not seen anybody post anything about making this kind of repair. Or, maybe they made the repair, but posted no pics so others might understand what is involved.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
This trimmer now sits in the shop, and I'm wondering if it should be repaired. The square shank on the drive line has worn out, and will no longer engage with the clutch plate. It is on my list to disassemble to see how many parts are required to put it back into service. It has been replaced.
If you're talking about the driveshaft, it carries a lifetime warranty from Stihl.

http://www.stihlusa.com/information/...ited-warranty/

Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ive found in the past that the carb rebuild kits are about $10 to $12 less than just buying a new carb for the FS90R trimmers and in the time it saves to just swap it out when your in the middle of the busy seson its worth it.

22" Toro Personal Pace (X2)
36" Scag Hydro Walk Behind
52" Wright stander
61" Scag Turf Tiger
52" Scag Wildcat
KM55 Trimmer
FS90 Trimmer (X2)
KM90 Trimmer (X2)
2-HS45 Hedge Trimmers
2-BR420 Magnum Blowers
1-BR550 Blower
1-BR600 Blower
1981 Chevy C30 Dump W plow
1995 Chevy 2500 W plow
2000 Dodge Dakota
1982 Chevy K20 (plow truck)
12 & 18' Trailers
Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls47303 View Post
Ive found in the past that the carb rebuild kits are about $10 to $12 less than just buying a new carb for the FS90R trimmers and in the time it saves to just swap it out when your in the middle of the busy seson its worth it.
I was told the same thing by a small engine mechanic, just replace the whole carb don't bother with a rebuild.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I own all Stihl handhelds, Fs130, Fs90, (2)Br550's and a br600 all have had carbs replaced @ $75 for the carb and a minimum of $50 for labor, the rebuild kit at $10 dollars sounds like a wise choice. These carbs only seem to be lasting 3-4 months,so a rebuild would save me a fair amount in the life span of my handhelds. Thanks for the tutorial at this time the Fs90 and Br600 are less than a year old and both are needing carb help now, Fs130 is 3 years old and has had 5 carbs and is ready again(Thank you Ethanol)
Old 08-07-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcoprop View Post
I own all Stihl handhelds, Fs130, Fs90, (2)Br550's and a br600 all have had carbs replaced @ $75 for the carb and a minimum of $50 for labor, the rebuild kit at $10 dollars sounds like a wise choice. These carbs only seem to be lasting 3-4 months,so a rebuild would save me a fair amount in the life span of my handhelds. Thanks for the tutorial at this time the Fs90 and Br600 are less than a year old and both are needing carb help now, Fs130 is 3 years old and has had 5 carbs and is ready again(Thank you Ethanol)
I have been told by 2 master mechanics with a combined 50+ years in the small engine biz) to just replace the carb instead of worrying about kits, and rebuilding/cleaning the carbs. It is labor intensive and can be difficult cleaning out all those little holes on a carb.

I paid about 35 shipped for a brand new carb off ebay for a Stihl Blower

On another note, you should be getting more than 3-4 months out of commercial hand helds. Something isn't adding up
Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

That's my thoughts and according to the dealer Stihl is not warrantying the carbs anymore because they cant be sure what people are running in them.Always 89 octane and the Stihl ultra mix oil.I use 5 gals every 8 days so the gas is not stale. I bring them to the dealer and get them back with a new carb at $125 a whack. the Br600 is going through a spell right now with these warm days sitting in the back of the truck heat expansion is forcing gas out the carb saturating the air filter and wont start unless I pull the air filter off.brought that in and asked them to check the vent. they said that was fine probably gonna need a new carb. I bought this in November last year so it saw Nov,May,June,and part of July before needing new carb. Fs90 was Purchased Oct last year and is in the same schedule for carb replacement
Old 08-08-2013, 04:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
That's my thoughts and according to the dealer Stihl is not warrantying the carbs anymore because they cant be sure what people are running in them.
Find another dealer. Stihl warrants every part of every gas powered tool. Period. If they were that concerned about your fuel they would take a sample and test it. The percentage of Ethanol in gas is easily tested with a dirt cheap tool. The dealer can do it. You can do it.

http://www.amazon.com/Mallory-9-7981...=pd_sbs_misc_5

Old 08-10-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
they said that was fine probably gonna need a new carb.
Bet he did at $125 a pop!