Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-15-2012, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven1277 View Post
An armed police officer assigned to a school is one thing. I agree with that, especially for a high school. I'm not sure its necessary for primary schools, but on duty town police officers could include making the rounds through elementary schools randomly, including walking the halls and interacting with the students. That would be a much better solution than arming teachers. This is what the police sign up for. They receive proper training. Teachers don't, even if they go through the training course, its not the same. Can you imagine the potential concerns with school employees carrying firearms? Increases liability insurance for one. Lawsuits with that one time a hand gun gets into a child's hands. I know gun control is an unpopular view on this site. But if you take away guns, you take away gun violence. England is a good example. Very tight gun laws= very low gun deaths. Its a very simple equation.
Not necessary for a primary school? Have you seen the news? It was an elementary school that got hit. What, elementary students are expendible? Police officers can't be everywhere. People have been brainwashed into believing they are there to protect you. They are there to fill out the report after the crime is committed. That is all. People need to start taking responsibility and protect themselves and those around them. Those kids ain't ever coming back. Some of them may have survived had it been legal for staff to carry a gun. The laws we currently have make schools a great target for these massacres.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is sadly true, none of those killed in Newtown are coming back. In China on the same day, a similar horrible event happened where a crazy man entered an elementary school and attacked 22 children. With a knife. They all survived. China has very strict gun control laws. That man didn't have easy access to firearms. Doesn't that say anything? It was very similar situations. Very different laws. Very different results. You all want to be safe. I want to be safe. Get rid of hand guns and hand gun violence stops. How more simple can it be?
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 12-15-2012, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what about a diffrent approach? It seems we can all agree that any of these people that do these kind of crimes are crazy as hell. Would it be too much to ask to actively enforce the laws that are on the books regarding guns today? And then maybe try to come up with a way to keep nutcases from walking into a store or gun show and buying one. I have a few guns but it wouldn't bother me to go through a more thorough check before being able to purchase one. At the same time send people to jail for any crime involving a gun and keep them there. When I was in school we didn't have fences around them. Now, many look like prisons more than schools, not sure adding guards is the solution.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 12-15-2012, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
That is sadly true, none of those killed in Newtown are coming back. In China on the same day, a similar horrible event happened where a crazy man entered an elementary school and attacked 22 children. With a knife. They all survived. China has very strict gun control laws. That man didn't have easy access to firearms. Doesn't that say anything? It was very similar situations. Very different laws. Very different results. You all want to be safe. I want to be safe. Get rid of hand guns and hand gun violence stops. How more simple can it be?
Taking guns away from from everyone won't stop anyone but the law abidding people. Drug's are illegal to have,make,grow, or sell yet there is thousands of transactions and infractions that go on daily. Arming law abidding people will curve some of it and in the case of the school shooting it would limit the number of injury's if someone were to stop the shooter. taking away more of our rights is not the answer, all that does is give the criminals more unprotected targets.

even if you take guns away whats to stop someone that wants to kill from using their car or some other meathod, if they want to do it bad enough they will find a way. should we outlaw cars to since people die every day from careless drivers?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The big difference between cars and guns are their intended purposes. Since the beginning, guns were designed for war and killing people. Obviously, cars are not. You can kill someone with your fists, as well, but that isn't what this debate is about. The main objective of a gun is to kill. The man in China didn't have those same resources available. Those children lived.
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 12-15-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & T Landscaping View Post
The HS I went to had two security guards and two SRO's (School Resource Officer) which are county police assigned to patrol the inside, and outside of the campus. The school also had 400+ Security cameras. We had fights...but not once was a gun ever involved. Not to mention, all the rooms had a call button that went straight to the security office, once pushed EVERYONE in administration and the security will be their within minutes. I do agree that schools need at least one armed guard that can be ready with the appropriate equipment for the job. Also, all our doors were locked during school hours...if you needed in, you'd have to go through the main office, unless a student let you in through a side door...which if you're packing heat, I doubt they would.
This is exactly how it needs to be in every school! had the school in conn had this system in place can you imagine the difference it would have made? Our HS's have this also but we need to implement it at all levels in every school. Maybe only one SRO is needed but he would be a lot closer than waiting on a 911 call to go through.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There's no doubt in my mind that schools need to be armed. Banks and jewlery stores have armed guards, are our kids worth less? I would like to see something along the lines of sky marshals. One or two highly trained and armed individuals dressed in plain clothes among the crowd. Candidates would be chosen from teachers and administrators deemed suitable for training. Heck, send them to the police training academy. That way no one knows who they are or where the are so that it's not likely they will be targeted and taken out as someone in uniform would be.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The answer to your question is that it isn't that simple at all. I would hesitate using China as an example. China has had strict laws regarding weapons because the government used to fear a hostile rebellion among it's citizens. It's a product of communism and a dictatorship. Use some European countries like Spain or England if you want to make that argument. The fundamental flaw in your argument are that you can't simply "take away" guns. It's time the extremists on both sides of this issue wake up and realize the solution is not swinging to one extreme or the other. Arming everyone will do no good. Taking away an honest and sane person's right to own guns will do no good. There is probably a solution to this issue that will help curb the frequency of tragic events like what happened yesterday, but you won't ever stop it all together. Make background checks more thorough. Make the wait time longer. Put a limit on how many firearms you can purchase for a given period of time. Encourage more firearm safety courses. This is all fine and dandy. But it wont stop all gun violence. Neither will trying to take all guns away from people who are honest, sane and know how to use them safely. You have to figure out a way to meet in the middle and figure out how to better protect the population while also making sure you are respectful of law abiding people who just want to be comfortable with the rights they have.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Using communist china as an example is pretty stupid. Really? You did your homework there? lol!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
This is exactly how it needs to be in every school! had the school in conn had this system in place can you imagine the difference it would have made? Our HS's have this also but we need to implement it at all levels in every school. Maybe only one SRO is needed but he would be a lot closer than waiting on a 911 call to go through.
I think the reason my school had two security guards and two SROs was because their is anywhere between 2,000 and 2,500 students on the campus. It was a pretty large school.