Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

advice on gas or diesel, etc.

I owned a 2001 f250 cc lb 4x4 5.4l gas with 3.73 limited slip diff and pulling 7k 6 days a week got 8mpg
Now i own a 2004 f350 srw cc lb 4x4 6.0 with 3.73 limited slip diff pulling 7k 6 days a week and now getting 14 mpg in the hills of sc pa.
Lastly my buddy's truck which i got to borrow is a 2002 f250 cc sb 4x4 with 4.10 limited slip and pulling 7k got 9 mpg.
So it is more than just the engine you need to consider 4.10 will pull easier but uses more fuel because engine rpms are higher
Your 08 has crappy mileage because of the dpf filter because someone decided that cutting soot by 50% by burning 50% more fuel makes sense.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

What work did you do to your 04 6.0?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
Just look for me on 75 and 121 between McKinney and the Colony. White cc 2500 Dodge and dark grey 18ft open trailer with 2ft solid sides. Sometimes will be in the Purple Ranger pulling black single axle 12'. I'm not much on posting pics. PM me if you like.
Posted via Mobile Device
I get up that way once in a while. My niece drives a purple ranger.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
Wow that's one special truck. My brother has an 07' Ex cab Dmax with 4;10 rears. 15 empty 10 to 12 loaded. 2 good friends with crew cab 2500's 06' and 08' both 4x4's pulling 18' and 20' enclosed, one does gutter work, the other a framer. Best pulling mileage reported by both guys loaded was 12mpg.
Posted via Mobile Device
duramax diesel's are known for getting great fuel economy while towing, especially with efi live tunes in them, pretty normal stuff here it's actually simple math....my dad's 95 extended cab long bed with with 100 gallon aux fuel tank got 20mpg towing a 20 ft equipment trailer to nj with a monte carlo ss on it, and 22 on the way back empty trailer. doing about 70 the whole way. The more power you have the less you push the throttle to maintain speed, and accelerate, therefore the engine doesn't have to work as hard and you get better fuel economy. I run a 96 7.3 powerstroke with 272,000 of reliable service every single day. not the fastest truck or very good on fuel towing but it works every day during the spring, summer and fall and to me that is what counts, i know a gas truck wouldn't be able to move some of the stuff i tow with my truck. or it would be going very very slow up some of the hills around me. getting 4 mpg probably.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferbum21 View Post
The older I get the wiser I get. I bought an 08 F-250 Lariat to work out of (yes, young dumb and full of...) Well I am not wanting to downgrade and get a straight work truck that I don't have to worry about putting dents & scratches in. I got diesel b/c I pull a trailer 7 days a week and told best option. One of my buddies uses all gas trucks in f-250 and says gets 16-18 mpg pulling (I think bs b/c I get 10 in my diesel).

I am really just trying to get others opinions on gas vs diesel when pulling 18 ft trailer loaded down as well as how many miles is too many miles? I'm looking at a couple 2004 f250 w 125,000 miles for around $13000. I don't mind spending more but trying to get the best truck for the lowest amount but I would rather spend more $ and not have a truck breaking down all the time.
delete your dpf and cat, and put a spartan tune in your truck probably the 250hp tune and watch your fuel economy double depending on what gears you have in the axles. my buddy did it with his 2009 f350 ext. cab short bed, he gets 25-27 on the highway hand calculated not towing, but i'm sure towing he still probably gets close to 20.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

advice on gas or diesel, etc.

I use my trucks for residential lawn maintenance.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't read all the replies but being you are in OKC I would get CNG. Bought 1 and look to change all 3 of my trucks to CNG. The saving are out of this world.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
duramax diesel's are known for getting great fuel economy while towing, especially with efi live tunes in them, pretty normal stuff here it's actually simple math....my dad's 95 extended cab long bed with with 100 gallon aux fuel tank got 20mpg towing a 20 ft equipment trailer to nj with a monte carlo ss on it, and 22 on the way back empty trailer. doing about 70 the whole way. The more power you have the less you push the throttle to maintain speed, and accelerate, therefore the engine doesn't have to work as hard and you get better fuel economy. I run a 96 7.3 powerstroke with 272,000 of reliable service every single day. not the fastest truck or very good on fuel towing but it works every day during the spring, summer and fall and to me that is what counts, i know a gas truck wouldn't be able to move some of the stuff i tow with my truck. or it would be going very very slow up some of the hills around me. getting 4 mpg probably.
That isn't the case with the Dodge. It gets better mpg on mild +60 hp towing than on hot +175hp. Empty it does better on hot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
Haven't read all the replies but being you are in OKC I would get CNG. Bought 1 and look to change all 3 of my trucks to CNG. The saving are out of this world.
I am seeing CNG as an option these days on new trucks too. How do you refill?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I am seeing CNG as an option these days on new trucks too. How do you refill?
There is a station 1.5 miles and 3 miles away from my home. The f450 I bought is dedicated with 30 gallon capacity. So a range of 350 to 400 miles. Soon as I get 3 to 4 vehicles I will do the home fuel station.