Register free!

Old 12-16-2012, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

After putting a little more thought into this thread...one word that I forgot to use is"diversify".
I think any entrepreneur starting a business needs to learn how to spread risk and diversify.

There are two ways to do this. You can diversify within your own business (ex. if you are a mower you may apply applications or landscape), or you can diversify out of your business (ex. if you mow you may sell life insurance in the winter).

Any business that is solidly diversified will outlast one that is not. All business's have thieir ups and downs and one needs to find themselves in the position to ride them out and it is best to spread yourself out a little.

With that said diversification can also take you down if the workload becomes too big or if you spread yourself out too much.

Just wanted to add that as I think that is a key piece to this thread. I guess want I am saying is...you don't have to go big or stay at home. I think you would be better to mow and to apps rather then just picking one.

Also look for specialized services. If you are in serious drought areas...SEED. Look at the customers problem and see what the customer would pay for to fix the problem.