Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

What business should I pursue?

So, I have decided that this is the year (actually 2013) I start my own business, but I have a dilemma. I am the fourth generation of bricklayers in my family, my dad passed away while I was in the military and so did the family business. Should I pursue a tuckpointing business, or should I pursue lawn maintenance?

Lawn maintenance is sustainable and scalable, but doing masonry repairs would allow me to continue the family trade. I am not comfortable laying brick, and I would never do something to someones home that I am not 100% capable of doing. Tuckpointing is what I did from ages 12-19, so I am confident in my abilities, and my brother is really good at it too. I pretty much grew up on a construction site. My mom worked in a bank so my dad took me to work with him and I sat in the truck or played in the sand pile while he and his crew laid brick.

What do you think I could make more money doing, and would you consider tradition if developing a business? I have connections in both industries, and was already told by several people that they will throw work my way. Some of my dads old crew turn down pointing work, and my friend is in landscaping, but only covers one side of town, he said he will give me all the work on my side of the city. Either way, I am excited, but I just need to commit to one or another. I will not do more than one businesses, my dad always told me to specialize and to never be a jack of all trades because they can't do any one thing great.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You've got yourself a housing market in turmoil on the one hand, and the worst drought in 50 years on the other, take your pick.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lay brick son!!! If you have a good start in a skilled trade and contacts to acquire new business you're 1/2 way there. Use the pointing work to establish yourself and slowly grow to laying bricks. I think over time you have more potential for growth and success in that vs. just being another lawn & landscape company. I could go on and on but take my advice. Your dad was no dummy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree. id stick with the brick, its a skilled trade. get your business certified vet owned and from there you can pretty much do what you want..
Old 12-15-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why couldn't you do landscaping all summer and do brick in the winter or slow times. just because you dont want to have 2 businesses doesnt mean its not smart. the winters around here are unpredictable and you cant count on snow. ive had multiple landscape customers ask me if I do brick pointing and if i had the know how to do it, I would gladly do it when I was slow
2002 6x12 Single Axle Landscaping Trailer
2013 7x16 Quality Equipment Trailer
1994 5x8 Lone Wolf Trailer

Exmark, Snapper, Ferris, Encore, Billy Goat, Honda, Echo, Stihl, Husky, and Ryan

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=344647
http://www.mcginnlandscaping.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/McG...30091293747444
Old 12-15-2012, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm sure you could make money either way. I've heard there was good money in tuck pointing and acid washing.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do both? Offer bricklaying as one of your services?
and by both I mean, do lawn care/landscaping...and just add bricklaying as another service you offer.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes. Don't pick but choose each other to work off each other trade. I would seriously think of adding a mason for landscaping let alone adding to our other crew. Maybe do some small concrete jobs. I think the answer is right in front of you. Best of luck.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I decided to pursue lawn maintenance after talking to some friends and reading several posts on the forums. I am writing my business plan right now and I tried writing one for Lawn Work and Pointing, but the scope of it was huge. I could make money doing both, but I could not focus on one venture wholly. For that reason alone I chose to Lawn Maintenance.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG_Landscaping View Post
Why couldn't you do landscaping all summer and do brick in the winter or slow times. just because you dont want to have 2 businesses doesnt mean its not smart. the winters around here are unpredictable and you cant count on snow. ive had multiple landscape customers ask me if I do brick pointing and if i had the know how to do it, I would gladly do it when I was slow
Glad to see another Pittsburgher, what section of the city/ suburbs do you work on? I live in Plum.