Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2012, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
I love how the media keeps saying that the firearms were purchased legally. Yes, they were purchased legally but they were STOLEN by the gunman from the person who purchased them legally.
He did indeed "steal" them from his mother. But the fact remains that he was diagnosed as being extremely mental ill. At the very least, we can take guns out of the homes that have individuals with these conditions. We dont know details of wether they were locked up or not, but regardless he still had easy access in his own home.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Let me paraphrase this as well as I am pro-gun. I totally respect the second amendment, but the fact is young people, in there young 20's, such as the KC football player, are at high risk for disorders such as the onset of Schitzofrenia. Maybe we should just change the age restrictions of ownership and that would be a start. If you look at history, most of these shootings are young males aged 14 to 27 most with no criminal history, and most with easy access to firearms.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

They should be in a safe- no argument there. Banning rifles doesn't change that. He stole two handguns too. This is very tragic and I couldn't be more sad and disappointed in the society we live in but taking guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens is not the answer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
They should be in a safe- no argument there. Banning rifles doesn't change that. He stole two handguns too. This is very tragic and I couldn't be more sad and disappointed in the society we live in but taking guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens is not the answer.
Posted via Mobile Device
No I agree, but unfortunetly if you live with a mentally disabled individual maybe its a choice you should have to make, wether you truly should own a weapon or not.. Make a little common sense decision to just not arm, there can be too much risk, I don't know, but something needs to be done. Far to sad.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Member

You guys are loonies!

Think about this:

If you shoot some guy who is trying to run away with your chainsaw (and really have you ever tried sprinting carrying a chainsaw?) think of the paperwork. Here there will automatically be an inquest. You will need a lawyer. You will lose days of work time telling your story.

Then: How much do you practice? Have you tried shooting a running person? Have you practiced over and over again, evaluating the scene to make sure that the shots that miss your target don't take out a kid in the yard further along?

Look at the stats for kids who get hurt by household guns.

If you are going to carry a deadly weopon, I want you to fire 500 rounds a month target practice on the kinds of range the police use where scene evaluation is critical for 20% of those.

Stay out of my town.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I blame rap music...ban rap music.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I blame Barney the dinasour(sp) he's purple BAN HIM!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A fav of mine is S & W 38 revolver.http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...son-model-642/
Still I wouldn't consider shooting at someone stealing from your trailer. Not exactly a life threatening experience. With a CCP comes great responsibility and a list of scenarios in which you can and can't shoot someone.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

instead of moving towards non-violence, people want to buy more guns?
sure the gun its self didnt cause the people to die, but without it could this person have killed over 20 people? say this person had acces to nuclear device? why is it that there is so much resistance for people to have nuclear device? it is just device. but dangerous. Like gun. in the wrong hands, can cause others harm. for people who create violence, if they have no weapon, it will be difficult to harm others. gun, sword, nuclear device, empowers one to harm others.
violence starts in the mind. these actions are just a manifestation of mind. thus we should focus on the root level (mind) to destroy the roots of ignorance so that we may be happy and the society may be happy. many methods and teachings for this are available to all, now that information is spread freely to anyone.
obviously a society where everyone carrys a gun, is not a society that anyone would like to live in. there is no way that anyone who is intrested in happiness, or peace can see such a society as an evoloution.
When one sees others as himself; that an act of violence towards others is like cutting off his own leg, peace can prevail.

Last edited by recycledsole; 12-16-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbotsford View Post
You guys are loonies!

Think about this:

If you shoot some guy who is trying to run away with your chainsaw (and really have you ever tried sprinting carrying a chainsaw?) think of the paperwork. Here there will automatically be an inquest. You will need a lawyer. You will lose days of work time telling your story.

Then: How much do you practice? Have you tried shooting a running person? Have you practiced over and over again, evaluating the scene to make sure that the shots that miss your target don't take out a kid in the yard further along?

Look at the stats for kids who get hurt by household guns.

If you are going to carry a deadly weopon, I want you to fire 500 rounds a month target practice on the kinds of range the police use where scene evaluation is critical for 20% of those.

Stay out of my town.
You are right about the practice but not what will happen if you shoot someone stealing your stuff. The penalties are not so lienient as where you are. Here in the states you will probably be charged with murder 2. You can't use deadly force unless someone is using deadly force against you or someone with you.

I also find it laughable how our Canadian neighbors think they have it so safe compared to us. Actually your gun laws are more lax. What it is is you just don't hear about incidents like we do giving you a false sense of security. You also probably don't have the loonies we do.