Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-16-2012, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Question #16....Stihl 4mix polesaw..
Will Little Billy get it warranteed..???..keep in mind that you can't inspect the piston without doing a teardown..
Having never worked on a stilh 4 mix, I don't see why you couldn't pull the plug and take a gander....but I don't think it would be
warranted

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 12-16-2012, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezmister View Post
Having never worked on a stilh 4 mix, I don't see why you couldn't pull the plug and take a gander....but I don't think it would be
warranted
Forgot to tell you...Little Billy is the Dealers son in law...and he was smart enough to exchange the sparkplug with another from a good running 4mix...hiding the evidence..

A pictoral on a Stihl 4mix would help a lot of folks...one real PITA engine to wrench on..
Hint...hint....Ed2Hess....
Old 12-16-2012, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A quick GOOGLE brought this up:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWZfRdm9u9c
I'm sure there's plenty more info avail.
I got some Stihl 4-mix saved in pdf but haven't figured out how to post em.

......AMF!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezmister View Post
warranted
Well ...it shouldn't be warranteed...but then again ..a lot of stuff that should be warrateed by Stihl doesn't get covered..I'm thinkin if he's related to the dealer...possible warranty...

Breeze....you got it..
Old 12-16-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

No guesses on 14 and 15.....
Hints....
14....it ain't the battery
15....it ain't the battery either...
Old 12-16-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Question #15...Kohler CV25 hp

Condition...Doing a routine head gasket replacement...sent the heads to the local machine shop for resurfacing...
Installed the heads..replacing the gaskets and lifters..now...the engine tries to start..and will start with starting fluid..but runs like junk...compression is now only 90 psi instead of 180 psi..

Name That Failure..
They took too much off the heads, and some dummy forgot to shim the rockers, thereby allowing the lifters to keep the valves ever so slightly ajar.

......AMF!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
No guesses on 14 and 15.....
Hints....
14....it ain't the battery
15....it ain't the battery either...
Alright, enough of this electrical bullchit! I'm pretty good with electrics, as are a lot of other posters, but you're coming up with some scenarios that are difficult to diagnose without fingerprintin' it! ( as you well know)
#14 could be any number of things: bad ground , bad starter, starter stuck in the flywheel, locked engine, bad solenoid, bad cable etc., etc.
The answer is clear in your head.............

......AMF!

Last edited by BigFish; 12-16-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Alright, enough of this electrical bullchit! I'm pretty good with electrics, as are a lot of other posters, but you're coming up with some scenarios that are difficult to diagnose without fingerprintin' it! ( as you well know)
#14 could be any number of things: bad ground , bad starter, starter stuck in the flywheel, locked engine, bad solenoid, bad cable etc., etc.
The answer is clear in your head.............
You got it Fish...Briggs are notorious for the starter gear hanging up in the flywheel..

I try to give you enough info to eliminate most of the wrong answers...without making the answer I'm looking for too obvious....not a fan of multiple choice...
Granted...the majority of these question are not geared fot the novice...but it ain't 3 level chess with invisible pieces..
Perhaps these questions and answers will help someone debug a hard to fix engine someday..
Perhaps......
Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
You got it Fish...Briggs are notorious for the starter gear hanging up in the flywheel..

I try to give you enough info to eliminate most of the wrong answers...without making the answer I'm looking for too obvious....not a fan of multiple choice...
Granted...the majority of these question are not geared fot the novice...but it ain't 3 level chess with invisible pieces..
Perhaps these questions and answers will help someone debug a hard to fix engine someday..
Perhaps......
Actually, it is! ( I guess, I don't play chess)
In this particular case ( based on your description), the only way to tell what is going on is to put yer grubby fingers on it! Either a test light, meter, paws on the starter case,...... you get my point!

......AMF!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, here's one:http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=393012

......AMF!