Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-16-2012, 03:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I might take you up on that. I got one the kid hooked up to a bare plug terminal. Might need a little recalibration. My point is, they are very accurate and a cheap alternative to a quality digital.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If mowisme was going to be a small engine mechanic I can see spending big bucks on a tach. But he's not. A low dollar Briggs, Sendec or TinyTach is all he needs for this one time chore. 50 or even 100 RPM of inaccuracy isn't going to make any difference.

I've tested multiple "cheap" tachs side by side before and if they're inaccurate, then they're all inaccurate by the same amount because they all said the same thing.

mowisme, if the tach you buy has options as to spark, you want the wasted spark version. Although your engine is a 4 stroke it is still firing the plug on every revolution. That's why it's called wasted spark.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks folks on all the input. Richard is right..I'll use it this one time and then it will sit in the never ending collection of 'this-n-that' storage bin. Thanks on the direction to go here..I'll see what I can come up with that is fairly cheap but yet will get me in the ball park. I see we have a new 'Northern tool' store open here..I'll start there. Gene
Old 12-16-2012, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey fuzzy-mind, just drag it down to the local mechanic and have them set it. Most applications and most all small engines call for a top speed of 3400-3600.

......AMF!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ahh

fuzzy mind?..you mind to explain BF?.. or is that just your personality? If latter Then Gosh- better cook them their fish little better. But hey- I do respect your mechanical skills but might want to work on the social skills (kidding)- loading it up and taking it in to garage and forking out $45-$65 to do a 2 minute check not really practical. This isn't no 'small town' spot on the map here..all about money here at these places. If it means loosing a $1000 motor-yes..But I'll buy a tach and save the motor.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowisme View Post
Hi folks- I posted while back on differant issues on this GX620- and thanks to all the help it seems to be running great. I don't want to over-rev it but at same time want the max safe rpm. Is their any way I can check rpm without the crank exposed? Not sure what to buy or even how to hook up a electronic tach? Years ago I had a dwell meter..didn't they show rpm's? - my mind is fuzzy on this as I never had reason to check rpms before. Any thoughts on a tach from HF? Thanks again-
Gene
'Nuff said????

......AMF!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok..now makes sense!

My oppoligies BF- I thought You was calling me names to be a a@*se.. But you are telling it exackly as it is! Fuzzy for sure on past. shoot..I need to go bury my head now. I guess I need to put more thought to my post and be bit more open minded- Thanks on explamation. Gene
Old 12-16-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another option is to check your local Craig's List. Should be a number of small engine mechanics, prolly find some mobile ones also. I advertise my services on CL.
I specialize in remedial social skills!!!!!!!

......AMF!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks..

Thats good one!..Yes , CL is another good option. Thanks