Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I've never had anyone ever check out my rig or ask a single question about my equipment. it's always assumed as I would assume if in contact with an LCO they have the proper equipment or they won't take on the job I have for them.

in fact most snow removal estimates I give over the phone. the one service I can do over the phone because most people have similar sized driveways.
I can't do that. A driveway can be about anything where I am. I need to see the property and see where the hazards and push zones are. In fact, once storm warnings are up I close my plow list. The only exceptions I'll make are for lawn care customers that I don't usually plow for or a neighbor or something. The last time I went against that the towing bill to get me out of the ditch was twice what I got paid for the driveway. And what the hell is with people putting a big rock at each corner of their driveway apron?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Can you give me an estimate over the internet? Or does it not work that way. After plowing for 16+ hours the last thing I want to do is plow my driveway.
since I don't live in Maine I'd need to see a pic of your driveway and I'd be charging for drive time to get there.

my driveway is first on the list because I'm already sitting it. I just push the snow on my way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
I can't do that. A driveway can be about anything where I am. I need to see the property and see where the hazards and push zones are. In fact, once storm warnings are up I close my plow list. The only exceptions I'll make are for lawn care customers that I don't usually plow for or a neighbor or something. The last time I went against that the towing bill to get me out of the ditch was twice what I got paid for the driveway. And what the hell is with people putting a big rock at each corner of their driveway apron?
my advertising this time ends the last day of december so I don't have to worry about closing my list. the only people I'd get after that are those that would flag me down while doing a clients. that's rare but I will do it as long as I have the clients who insist on being plowed by a certain time done.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am going to get a 4X4 moster truck and hook up an aerator on it. I can rip up the sod.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Sponsor

may in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Keep a personal vehicle

I use actual cost and depreciate.

I do not believe I will take section 179 again even if the IRS does keep it.
as your company grows, I think you will be happy to take advantage of section 179. Especially the enhanced version currently available.
"Where PROFIT IS NOT A DIRTY WORD"
How to bid mowing and landscaping jobs
Manuals & CDs Available to help you make your Business more PROFITABLE & PROFESSIONAL
800-845-0499
Louisville, KY
Since 1979
Old 12-17-2012, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne's Lawn Service View Post
as your company grows, I think you will be happy to take advantage of section 179. Especially the enhanced version currently available.

I have used the 179 many times not sure I will going forward
Old 12-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Sponsor

Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I have used the 179 many times not sure I will going forward
Keep doing what works best for you. That is all that matters.

I know it has saved us thousands of dollars in taxes due by reducing our gross income right off the top. I guess it is like everything else. It has its place. Have a great day.
"Where PROFIT IS NOT A DIRTY WORD"
How to bid mowing and landscaping jobs
Manuals & CDs Available to help you make your Business more PROFITABLE & PROFESSIONAL
800-845-0499
Louisville, KY
Since 1979
Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne's Lawn Service View Post
Keep doing what works best for you. That is all that matters.

I know it has saved us thousands of dollars in taxes due by reducing our gross income right off the top. I guess it is like everything else. It has its place. Have a great day.

You do not get a bigger deduction, you just get to take all of it at once. Kind of bites to make payments on a truck and have no deductions years down the road.

same deductions just a matter of how they are applied.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
my truck was only 3500 and i think its pretty decent looking?
not perfect, but still in pretty good condition. its your money spend it how you want but i think 10k is too much even I would spend 5-6 and leave 4k in your budget to fix any minor issues you may have or modify how the truck looks( wheels and tires) maybe tint the windows if you want. though i went that route before and heavily modified a truck for performance and i was using for work and would not recommend it until you have a solid reliable work truck then if you want another truck to lift or build lots of hp then do it.

Just out of curiosity why was it a bad idea that you where upgrading your truck with performance and such and wanting to use it for work? thanks
Old 12-22-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
mileage is up there for an 2008 at 149,000 but in my opinion that means anything that was gonna go wrong with the truck already has probably, and that it was a reliable truck will probably continue to be reliable for at least another 200,000 maybe even another 300,000. Now if i was to buy that truck, right from the get go i would do the towing mirrors on it, xlt lights harley davidson edition, so they are smoked, maybe some wheels and tires, swap out the bench seat for buckets, and delete the dpf, and do a spartan tuner, especially if you are going to be the only one driving it, you will love the better fuel economy you will get, and added power for towing. that's just me. I probably wouldn't buy that particular truck because it doesn't have cab lights but that's up to you, and I want all my trucks to match. They will all have smoked head lights, smoked turn signals, black front bumpers, black grills, black rear bumpers, and tints, 35% on the sides, and 20 on the back window. also fisher plow mounts on every truck. that's just me, I like uniformity.
I like your ideas for the truck man, it's your money do what you want. Plus having a few trucks uniformed the same way with some custom stuff for looks, "in my opinion" that's power to you, people will know who you are and what company that is just by how your trucks look.