Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 AM
wegomow's Avatar
wegomow wegomow is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 370
I often wonder if we walked about well armed, wouldn't it be a much more polite place to live? Hmm....
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:49 AM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Absolutly not. Im progun and live in a state with very relaxed gun laws and I like it like that.
Fix the freak, not the gun law.
I'm pro gun as well. I own 3 firearms. but I still think we need stricter gun laws. that's not to totally excuse these mentally insane people and that's not the perfect or complete answer but its part of it.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 AM
sgbotsford sgbotsford is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 102
If you are robbed at gunpoint, you don't have time to draw. Going for a weapon will either get you killed or someone else killed.

The nature of a handgun is that by the time you realize that you need it, you no longer have time to get it. It is primarily a defensive weapon.

I can see having one in the house. You hear the burlar, and can arm yourself. Or as a way to deal with home invasion. But you are really playing a game of double or nothing even there.

I can see recommending that teachers get trained, and keep one in a locked desk drawer especially if we get more school shootings.

Athens Georgia (I think. Some large town in Georgia) has a city ordinance that requires every household to have a handgun. Lowest burgle rate in the country. The knowledge that there are guns in hand is a significant deterrent.

The key to carrying is training. If you use it on another person however, you are looking at losing your business, and several years of your life. You have got to be sure that the only alternative is probably you or someone you love dying.

That's why to me, there is no sense in carrying.
* The scenrios that are likely they are far more likely to do you more harm than good.
* It takes constant training to make the right decision at the right time. I think that law enforcement officers shoot several thousand rounds a year in training.
* Even if you are an LEO there is paperwork to fill out if you even draw your gun, more if you fire it, let alone hit someone with it.
* Even LEOs will go through their entire career and never draw their gun.

Counter with the risk that you will
* shoot and hit. Legal fees. Jail time.
* shoot and miss. Your best option.
* shoot and hit an innocent. Now the S*** really hits the fan. And guilt too.

Is it worth it?

And do remember that there are many many cases each year where someone left the gun cupboard unlocked, or the kid finally got tall enough to reach the key, and got hurt or hurt a sibling with this alluring deadly toy.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 12-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Lawn Care Etc.'s Avatar
Lawn Care Etc. Lawn Care Etc. is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Heber Springs Arkansas
Posts: 17
Taurus TCP .380 it's a great gun easy to carry, and only about $199 or look up pocket pistols.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 AM
AI Inc's Avatar
AI Inc AI Inc is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 21,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I'm pro gun as well. I own 3 firearms. but I still think we need stricter gun laws. that's not to totally excuse these mentally insane people and that's not the perfect or complete answer but its part of it.
So what do you consider stricter and what do you beleive they will do? Keep in mind human nature when answering.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 12-17-2012, 11:01 AM
AI Inc's Avatar
AI Inc AI Inc is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 21,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Care Etc. View Post
Taurus TCP .380 it's a great gun easy to carry, and only about $199 or look up pocket pistols.
Buy American. Taurus is Brazilian made.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 AM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbotsford View Post
If you are robbed at gunpoint, you don't have time to draw. Going for a weapon will either get you killed or someone else killed.

The nature of a handgun is that by the time you realize that you need it, you no longer have time to get it. It is primarily a defensive weapon.

I can see having one in the house. You hear the burlar, and can arm yourself. Or as a way to deal with home invasion. But you are really playing a game of double or nothing even there.

I can see recommending that teachers get trained, and keep one in a locked desk drawer especially if we get more school shootings.

Athens Georgia (I think. Some large town in Georgia) has a city ordinance that requires every household to have a handgun. Lowest burgle rate in the country. The knowledge that there are guns in hand is a significant deterrent.

The key to carrying is training. If you use it on another person however, you are looking at losing your business, and several years of your life. You have got to be sure that the only alternative is probably you or someone you love dying.

That's why to me, there is no sense in carrying.
* The scenrios that are likely they are far more likely to do you more harm than good.
* It takes constant training to make the right decision at the right time. I think that law enforcement officers shoot several thousand rounds a year in training.
* Even if you are an LEO there is paperwork to fill out if you even draw your gun, more if you fire it, let alone hit someone with it.
* Even LEOs will go through their entire career and never draw their gun.

Counter with the risk that you will
* shoot and hit. Legal fees. Jail time.
* shoot and miss. Your best option.
* shoot and hit an innocent. Now the S*** really hits the fan. And guilt too.

Is it worth it?

And do remember that there are many many cases each year where someone left the gun cupboard unlocked, or the kid finally got tall enough to reach the key, and got hurt or hurt a sibling with this alluring deadly toy.
i think of plenty of other scenarios where carrying a gun would be beneficial.

what if your walking out to your car and you see someone trying to break into your car. or how about someone walking towards you aggressively.

take the school shooting for example. someone could have shot that guy before he blew through as many as he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
So what do you consider stricter and what do you beleive they will do? Keep in mind human nature when answering.
i consider a more extensive background check as stricter.

background checks are too loose in some places. in my city they are for sure.

i could go to a gun store right now and be in and out with a firearm in 20 min. tops.

personally i would not ban high capacity magazines or certain types of ammo as some are currently suggesting. as an avid target shooter i would love to be able to reload less. a 30 round magazine for my glock would be great or a 100 round for my sig 556 would be awesome.

i don't think removing any type of gun or accessory is the answer. criminals and those wanting to commit acts suck as the school shooting will always find a way, always find access to weapons they want, legal or illegal.

there are only so many law enforcement and military people to go around. and how many of them have ever actually been present when a crime like this has gone down? they usually only arrive after the tragedy has been done. who is around though. legal, law abiding citizens. remove guns from them and theres that many less guns around to defend against those who use them for crimes and illegal purposes.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 AM
cpllawncare's Avatar
cpllawncare cpllawncare is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,647
botsford you make some very legit points. I'm sure I wouldn't pull a gun on someone trying to steal a blower, but if out somewhere and a guy just goes crazy and starts shooting people, Lets say you happened to be at the school in conn when it all started don't you think you would do your best to do whatever you had to to stop it, including pulling your gun out? Or at the mall? sure you would have to go through a lot of legal stuff afterwards but I don't think a jury would convict anyone in that circumstance. Once I get my CWP I plan on being at the range once a month, I was in the military for 10 years it won't take long to get my skills back.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 12-17-2012, 01:17 PM
cpllawncare's Avatar
cpllawncare cpllawncare is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,647
Along with the school marshall idea, why not training for a volunteer citizen marshal force. Only a certain number in an area allowed and stringet background check involved? maybe like only ex military or police allowed.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 12-17-2012, 01:26 PM
wegomow's Avatar
wegomow wegomow is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 370
This thread has gone way off point. Totally highjacked.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 PM.

Page generated in 0.10597 seconds with 10 queries