Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark/is this going to be a problem

2 part question; Who knows about an exmark fuel tank? I have a 2009 metro for the record. I removed the tank yesterday to clean it out real good. I wanted to take off the piece at the bottom of the tank (pic posted below) However, I couldn't for the life of me get it to come off. There is that piece of metal elbow that the fuel line attaches to.

There is also a nut that appears to be threaded on around the elbow. But, when you try turning the nut the entire piece spins. The elbow, the black plastic base and the round metal washer piece inside the tank. There is no way to keep it from spinning that Im aware of. You could try and hold the elbow with pliers but it seems like a fragile piece of aluminum that would bend or break. As tight as that nut was on I don't think if was coming off even if you could hold it.

The Exmark part of the question is; is the tank just one piece and this piece is not seperate?

The second part of the question is; while wiping the inside of the tank I knocked off this screen (filter) inside of the tank. I disn't kniow this was a screen just bty looking down in the tank, I thought it was another metal elbow like below the tank.

This screen appears to have been just pushed down into the washer with the hole in the middle which is in the tank. In order to put it back in I would need to pull off the piece on the bottom but from my info above, you can read that was not possible. That's why Im wondering if the tank is just one piece because of this.

So, not having that filter screen inside the tank, is that oing to cause me problems? I know I still have my fuel filter so any real fine debris probably will not get stopped due to the missing screen.

Here are the pics, 1. Inside the tank at the bottom 2. Bottom of tank on the outside where fuel line attaches 3. The screen filter that got knocked loose
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2012, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Don't know if the following link will come through for you, but it does indicate that the elbowed fitting is available as a separate part if needed. The intank screen will keep a lot of trash out of your inline filter but if the elbow is not leaking you can probably get by checking the filter more frequently.

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/exm...r=exmark&adv=y

If the link does not work you can go to Exmark's website to retreive the proper info.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
Don't know if the following link will come through for you, but it does indicate that the elbowed fitting is available as a separate part if needed. The intank screen will keep a lot of trash out of your inline filter but if the elbow is not leaking you can probably get by checking the filter more frequently.

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/exm...r=exmark&adv=y

If the link does not work you can go to Exmark's website to retreive the proper info.
Thanks for posting. Yeah, the link just took me to the main parts search screen.

From what you posted though that would make sense that the elbow with the threaded nut at the bottom does come out. I wonder if anyone on here is an exmark tech? I'd be curious to know how you get this part off. I would like to put that little screen back in and I know you have to unscrew that piece in order to do that.

Just frustrating, you know?
Old 12-17-2012, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not the Exmark tech you're seeking but I would try to thread that nut off while holding the stem carefully...maybe just a block of wood against it or something to keep it from turning rather than grasping it with pliers and risking crushing it. The part is less than $20.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, to be honest, you don't have many options since the portion of the elbow inside the tank does not have a hex on it.

I don't recall what the fitting is made of but the first option to try is to support the length of the elbow with a channel lock and try to turn the nut.

Another option would be to use an "easy out" on an extension-- insert it in the outlet on the inside of the tank, then attempt to wrench the nut off.

In a similar situation, I've use a center punch with a hammer to give the corner of the hex a sharp rap--"sometimes" breaking the nut loose.

Worse case scenario, you damage it--replace it.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
I'm not the Exmark tech you're seeking but I would try to thread that nut off while holding the stem carefully...maybe just a block of wood against it or something to keep it from turning rather than grasping it with pliers and risking crushing it. The part is less than $20.
Hey Darryl. Yeah maybe, but I tell you, this thing is TIGHT! The tank is back on now. Its not a huge deal to remove it but I almost don't even feel like messing with it now. Is that screen really necessary? I mean maybe it is. I guess like was stated, just check the clear inline filter more often now.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well...here's the thing...you could end up getting debris in there that restricts or plugs up the tube. I know that there's all sorts of grass clippings and leaf bits in my tanks. I should probably be more careful about removing debris from my cans before fueling....
Old 12-17-2012, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
Well, to be honest, you don't have many options since the portion of the elbow inside the tank does not have a hex on it.

I don't recall what the fitting is made of but the first option to try is to support the length of the elbow with a channel lock and try to turn the nut.

Another option would be to use an "easy out" on an extension-- insert it in the outlet on the inside of the tank, then attempt to wrench the nut off.

In a similar situation, I've use a center punch with a hammer to give the corner of the hex a sharp rap--"sometimes" breaking the nut loose.

Worse case scenario, you damage it--replace it.
Hey just saw your response after posting above. I thought about if I could get something to fit snuggly into the hole of the piece inside the tank that it would stop the piece from turning. I just didn't know what though. Im not familiar with an "easy out."

Also, considering that all I am need to do this for it to insert the little filter screen, you think I should just say screw it and go without it?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Since my meds have not quite taken hold yet, I will defer all future responses to you D1!!!!

......AMF!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Since my meds have not quite taken hold yet, I will defer all future responses to you D1!!!!
What's your problem man? I thought your screen name looked familiar. I went back and looked at another thread I started and that's where I knew your name from.

Same condescending, smart aleck response. Why?

Is it amusing to know more about something then someone else and by making snide useless remarks thats somehow humorous?
Posted via Mobile Device