Register free!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Organic fert and weed control on farm

I have a client that just bought a 20 acre farm and wants me to treat the lawn around the main house for existing weeds and apply some fert. They have chickens, geese, dogs and a pig roaming around the yard, so I want to give them some options for organic/ pet safe products. Any recommendations for what I could use around there?
thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Organic weed control is difficult at best. Perhaps a low toxicity product that disappears rapidly would suit the situation. Like carfentrazone (Quicksilver)--its very low in toxicity (greater 5000 mg/kg) and has a very low use rate per acre.
There is no grazing or haying restriction for any animals.
http://www.caes.uga.edu/commodities/...edPerGrass.pdf

Last edited by RigglePLC; 12-17-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: add link
Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If there are all those critters roaming around on the lawn around the main house, I would refuse to apply any kind of chemical to the turf... chickens eat the dirt as well as the grass and weeds... there is no chance that his main yard will last very long with that type of destruction going on anyways...
Old 12-18-2012, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. They just moved out there and are trying to "fix it up" until they tear it down in a couple of years and build a new house, so it may be pointless to do much to it. I will see if they can catch the chickens and cage them until apps are dry.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx315 View Post
Thanks for the info. They just moved out there and are trying to "fix it up" until they tear it down in a couple of years and build a new house, so it may be pointless to do much to it. I will see if they can catch the chickens and cage them until apps are dry.
You miss the point...

In order for any type of herbicide to work,,, it must stay residual in the soil long enough for the plant to take it up...

Dry,,, is fine for above ground grazing(maybe) ,,, but,,, chickens eat dirt, for the gizzard... all birds do...

Besides,,, he will only have a barnyard,,, not a lawn...

2 dogs can make a barnyard,,, let alone adding chickens, geese,,,and a pig...
Old 12-23-2012, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There are many many herbicides that do not need to stay residual or even contact the soil whatsoever to work never mind stay residual in the soil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
You miss the point...

In order for any type of herbicide to work,,, it must stay residual in the soil long enough for the plant to take it up...

Dry,,, is fine for above ground grazing(maybe) ,,, but,,, chickens eat dirt, for the gizzard... all birds do...

Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

As far as fert, I use screamin green. It even has chicken poop in it lol
It's 40% organic, never harmed an animal with it.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
You miss the point...

I agree with fl-landscapes on this one. Not all herbicides are active in the soil -- glyphosate being maybe the most notable. Most POST herbicides that we use in lawn and landscape situations have some amount of foliar and root uptake, but the majority of the uptake is coming from foliar contact.

Beyond that, most foliar applied herbicides are taken up rather quickly. Research has shown that about 90% of all the berbicide that a plant is going to take up from an application is taken up in the first 15 minutes after application.

Soil activity is usually not a deal breaker and uptake is usually very quick (except in some situations of environmental stress).
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Even with spot spraying, the chances of the when is it safe for a chicken to eat the leaf with the spray on it? Where does the AI go after it is dry?