Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-15-2012, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was recently blamed for a root breaking the existing main irrigation service line (hair line break), and the only thing I did in the area was install a double check valve since there wasn't one installed, and ran irrigation to the back yard and replaced heads in the front. The break wasn't at my tee junction and I held the root up to them for proof, then charged them $85 for the repair. I do 3 year warranty on new installs, and this break had nothing to do with our work. Proof that it is an installation error would be necessary before I paid their bill.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 12-18-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

costumer demands pay their water bill

Thank you guys for all the responses. The homeowner ended up getting the city to bring him a log of the water usage. I had never seen it but he got a few hundred pages dating from a month before we installed it (may), the log was very detailed including everyday, GPH used, hourly meter readings. It was obvious that it was a leak from the irrigation system it started from 2-5GPH to 85GPH I have no idea how this guy that mows his own yard did not see 80 gallons of water when he was out mowing or driving in to his house. He lives in a corner lot but he's got a flat 1/3 of an acre lot with fescue that he mowed like if it was Bermuda. After I looks at the papers I called the city and they advised me to fix it and give the homeowner a statement saying that we fixed the leak and they would adjust the bill but I was ready to tell the homeowner that I would help him pay the difference in one bill since i was not told about the issue.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

lol you should look at the bill yourself..

cause Am I missing something? I've seen the oldest meters out there to the newest digital meters out there.. Hourly meter readings?? 100's of pages for water usage?? I highly doubt it... If they used there equipment to that extensive amount they would have been able to come out quickly enough to say there is a leak instead of waiting 5 months with a 1.5GPM leak . The water districts don't have the resources to monitor a small residential unit to that extensive amount and have it justifiably be cost effective.

I just dealt with a $16,000 water bill.. Found the leak and repaired.. How many pages? 1..

And what the heck man? It's your system- why have you not been out there yet to confirm/ resolve the leak?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post

And what the heck man? It's your system- why have you not been out there yet to confirm/ resolve the leak?
He already winterized it. If they rent compressorors, not cost effective to rent again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2012, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciajj612 View Post
Thank you guys for all the responses. The homeowner ended up getting the city to bring him a log of the water usage. I had never seen it but he got a few hundred pages dating from a month before we installed it (may), the log was very detailed including everyday, GPH used, hourly meter readings. It was obvious that it was a leak from the irrigation system it started from 2-5GPH to 85GPH I have no idea how this guy that mows his own yard did not see 80 gallons of water when he was out mowing or driving in to his house. He lives in a corner lot but he's got a flat 1/3 of an acre lot with fescue that he mowed like if it was Bermuda. After I looks at the papers I called the city and they advised me to fix it and give the homeowner a statement saying that we fixed the leak and they would adjust the bill but I was ready to tell the homeowner that I would help him pay the difference in one bill since i was not told about the issue.
How long after the install did the leak start? On new installs I usually make it a point to make several checks to look for things like this.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

With a leak that big, you would have noticed it during the blow out, loss of pressure on zones. Then start walking the path of the main line until you see air coming out of the ground.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciajj612 View Post
The system is dead at this time, take advantage of it. Close all valves and install a pressure gauge at the induction port. Pressurize to 40psi for 1 hr. That'll tell you if the main is leaking or not.

I don't believe that the purveyor has hourly logs of each customers meter use but i also don't believe the world ends Friday either.

If you have a leak in the main, FIX IT. If you don't have a leak, BILL THE CLIENT for your time.

Is it possible for you to post 24 hrs of the log on the forum? This thread would be more educational if you could.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by 1idejim; 12-18-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from Canada View Post
With a leak that big, you would have noticed it during the blow out, loss of pressure on zones. Then start walking the path of the main line until you see air coming out of the ground.
I doubt that with an 80 cfm compressor would be unable to mask a 1.5 gpm leak but i do agree that it would have surfaced during the blowout.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2012, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
I don't believe that the purveyor has hourly logs of each customers meter use
Agreed.

Quote:
but i also don't believe the world ends Friday either.
WTF? All that preparation for nothing ..... damn.

Quote:
If you have a leak in the main, FIX IT. If you don't have a leak, BILL THE CLIENT for your time.
Agreed.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Agreed.

WTF? All that preparation for nothing ..... damn.

Agreed.
As i knew you would Chief.
Posted via Mobile Device