Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orderlawncareonline.com View Post
I think that is a good idea for the short term but will cause you problems in the long run. My first lawn care company we took the lowballing approach and gained many customers fast. We soon figured out we weren't making any money we were actually loosing money. As soon as we went up on our prices we lost almost all our customers. The lesson i learned was price should never be used in gaining customers. Give a percent off for the first mow and throw in a referral program and that should help but stay away from the lowballing even if it's the first mow. Imagine if you get 500 customers at that price. Your loosing thousands and thousands of dollars.
I agree, but this technique isn't about lowballing, it's about getting the phone to ring so you can get in front of customers and sell your services at your normal rate which hopefully isn't at money losing level, at least mine aren't, isn't two free cuts worth a years worth of service at normal rates plus the chance to upsell even more profitable services.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I still think its a headache waiting to happen. I prefer the grow slow approach rather than shoot for a goal of 50-100 clients the first year or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2012, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
The problem is Quality is subjective at best, I don't care if you have the best quality out there, I know ours is pretty damn good from the reviews and feedback we get from our customers, but there is always those few that it doesn't matter how good you are they will tear you apart. "FREE" is the most powerful word in marketing and in this case is used as a call to action, and used to get the calls flowing which most of us need after a few months off, You can preach quality all day long but if the phone isn't ringing you have no chance to prove it.
I agree with you mate. I always read guys posting about how great there 'quality' is and how they sale customers on there 'super quality' Lets not get it twisted, we are talking about cutting grass. I always believed you are selling reliability first meaning the customer has enough faith in you, your crews, and your equipment to know you will show up each week on Friday and make there yard look presentable. How many yards during the dead of summer are even in the position to look like Turner Field due to lack of water, fert, and problem spots? The people that have those 'perfect' yards always seem to cut themsevles.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i did this technique last year but did 10$ under 2000 15$ under 5000 and 20$ limit of one acre. Had about twenty yards i cut i believe all of them at the 15 or 20$ id have to double check. Walked away with 7 new customers that signed for last summer and are already signed up for next year. Im running it again this spring. If i cut 13 yards for little to no profit and walk away with 7 long term customers i will do it all day long, but I'm young and have no overhead and not a lot to loose maybe in 5-10 years ill think i was crazy as well.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
i did this technique last year but did 10$ under 2000 15$ under 5000 and 20$ limit of one acre. Had about twenty yards i cut i believe all of them at the 15 or 20$ id have to double check. Walked away with 7 new customers that signed for last summer and are already signed up for next year. Im running it again this spring. If i cut 13 yards for little to no profit and walk away with 7 long term customers i will do it all day long, but I'm young and have no overhead and not a lot to loose maybe in 5-10 years ill think i was crazy as well.
I don't even know what a less than 2000 yard looks like, not sure we even have any, at least not in any subdivisions we would market to. Even if we did run into one I wouldn't do it for $10, why would you charge such a lowball rate? your losing money. we have some 5k yards but they are $40-$45, this is what kills me, young and no overhead is no excuse for lowballing
Old 12-18-2012, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My rates are not lowballing it's a marketing scheme. Those 7 yards I got the lowest I charge on weekly basis I'd 40$. Don't be so quick to judge I pay taxes ins whiole nine yards. I'm 21 and own my own house probably got it from lowballing right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2012, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone that says they have no overhead is kidding themselves.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2012, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H & M Yard Improvements View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I find it comical to be honest with you. We lost a bid to a guy with "no overhead because his mowers were paid off." He was 60% cheaper than us because he wanted the work. I was told he was mowing until 10PM with his truck lights on the fields . Needless to say 2 years later and he was bankrupt and we were back mowing. The whole no overhead thought process is a joke, EVERYONE who operates a business has overhead.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

On occasion I have offered to mow a lawn free or at a bargain price when I have considerable uncertainty about how long a lawn will take to mow and I really want it. I'd rather eat a few dollars once than over and over. Over time I can usually get my time down 15% to 20% from what my first mow was, but I price it based on that first mow anyway. I've never offered a "foot in the door" discount...it's always been a case-by-case decision. I think I've gotten every one of those jobs....they get to see my work and I get to price it based on real data rather than an estimate.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by H & M Yard Improvements View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I have really low overhead....my office is in the basement...watch your head!!!