Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Customer Service

I need some opinions on this. I know customer service is important and making customers feel special is a goof thing. With that said, my partner wants to send out birthday cards to customers and of their birthday lands within the lawn season he wants to give them a free cut that week. Also he wants to have a drawing with all of our customers to pick one and give them a free month of cuts. I think this is a bit to much but maybe I'm just to money hungry lol. What do you guys think? Good or bad business decision?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the b-day idea is pretty cool, But if I were to do this, I have no idea when my customers bday is. I don't ask them for that info at any time. But I'm sure you could either ask them or copy the DL when they sign up. We have a local buffet in town that gives you a free meal on your bday. I'm sure it draws lots of business because not many people go to a buffet alone. But I think it's a cool gesture. I don't know if I'd ofer a free month drawing, but that's just me, I couldn't afford to do that, especially on one of my larger accounts. But if you're big enough to absorb the cost, maybe offer it to just new customers? I dunno, thinking out loud here
Old 12-18-2012, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

The birthday thing is a great idea. There are lots of people that do not have many friends or family so you might be the only one to send them a card, think how that would make them feel. A free cut on their birthday is also a great thing and what does it really cost you versus how many people they will tell about it. In my main business we do anything we can to build loyalty which in turn builds referrel business, it is cheaper to keep your customers happy and talking about you than it is to advertise for new customers.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

See that's the point I'm trying to get acrossed to him we only have 100 customers. Its not enough income to absorb giving away a free month of cuts
Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to do those kinds of promos (which I think are a great way to encourage loyalty and referrals) tie them into something else. Are you on social media? Make the rewards available to customers who follow you on twitter- or even better- follow and retweet your announcement of the promo. Twitter, Facebook, g+, any of those would be great to leverage in this way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do something similar. I will tell you what I do and give you a few suggestions. I have an email list of most of my customers. Even if they aren't a regular customer and I have only serviced them once, I try to get them to get join my mailing list. I use a email service called mailchimp. I ask for their birthday when they sign-up. I have it set that it will automatically send out a birthday email to them 1 day before their birthday with a 50% off coupon enclosed for a single mowing service. The coupon is valid for 1 year after their birthday so it is fair for everyone (winter birthdays). Much cheaper than a mailed card, it is done automatically, and isn't usually redeemed. I have been doing this for years and I think only 1 or 2 coupons have been redeemed. Gives your customer service point across at a smaller cost. I also get a benefit from it because I can send them monthly newsletters and keep the communication lines open.

My suggestions is to do this on a coupon basis and make this available for everyone, no matter what season their birthday falls in.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I disagree with your partner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkmbrown2001 View Post
I do something similar. I will tell you what I do and give you a few suggestions. I have an email list of most of my customers. Even if they aren't a regular customer and I have only serviced them once, I try to get them to get join my mailing list. I use a email service called mailchimp. I ask for their birthday when they sign-up. I have it set that it will automatically send out a birthday email to them 1 day before their birthday with a 50% off coupon enclosed for a single mowing service. The coupon is valid for 1 year after their birthday so it is fair for everyone (winter birthdays). Much cheaper than a mailed card, it is done automatically, and isn't usually redeemed. I have been doing this for years and I think only 1 or 2 coupons have been redeemed. Gives your customer service point across at a smaller cost. I also get a benefit from it because I can send them monthly newsletters and keep the communication lines open.

My suggestions is to do this on a coupon basis and make this available for everyone, no matter what season their birthday falls in.

I like your idea of the 50% off coupons because that was another one of my issues with the birthday promo. Its not fair to the customers who have birtbdays during the winter season. You can't promise them a free snow removal because the weather is so unpredictable. But your idea eliminates that.