Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,672
I'd say that Gravely def needs to do something with thaT belt if it indeed runs under the deck like that.

I think the plastic wheels will hold up for quite a long time if made from good plastic(s). My old Jacobsen 19" trim and rough cut pusher is 42 years old and it has ran on the original plastic wheels for all but 5 or so years of that time. I swapped them out for steel wheels with bearings to make it even esier to push, but the originals are still in good shape. That old mower has covered more ground (and a lot of really rough ground at that) than probably about any mower on this site anywhere. Still going strong too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
My Ariens LM 21 classic has the drive belt under the deck but it has a shield that goes over it. I wonder if in this video it was just for show?

Im still a huge fan of my Honda HRC's hydro drive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
My Ariens LM 21 classic has the drive belt under the deck but it has a shield that goes over it. I wonder if in this video it was just for show?

Im still a huge fan of my Honda HRC's hydro drive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Surely there's a gaurd of some sort if that's where it runs. Sticks, leaves, grass etc., would ruin that belt in short order without one.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 PM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Surely there's a gaurd of some sort if that's where it runs. Sticks, leaves, grass etc., would ruin that belt in short order without one.
Seems that way to me too.

Well, I'm calling it a day....ya'll have a good one!
Stan
__________________
Shut 'er down Buford....she's slangin' oil !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:32 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Surely there's a gaurd of some sort if that's where it runs. Sticks, leaves, grass etc., would ruin that belt in short order without one.
After watching the vid again that part looks computer animated. Its got to be just showing the under side without guards on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
After watching the vid again that part looks computer animated. Its got to be just showing the under side without guards on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe you're right, but I paused it at the point where it shows the belt, and then blew up the pic. There are three holes in the center of the blade, one for mounting and two others. The top one is located right over the belt where it is at in the pic and it is dark behind the hole which indicates the balck belt is showing though. The bottom hole is located over the silver spindle housing and the silver is showing though the hole. If it were CGI or something similar, I don't believe they'd have gone to the trouble of blackening out the upper hole to simulate it being over the belt because it's doubtful many would nocite that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:42 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Maybe you're right, but I paused it at the point where it shows the belt, and then blew up the pic. There are three holes in the center of the blade, one for mounting and two others. The top one is located right over the belt where it is at in the pic and it is dark behind the hole which indicates the balck belt is showing though. The bottom hole is located over the silver spindle housing and the silver is showing though the hole. If it were CGI or something similar, I don't believe they'd have gone to the trouble of blackening out the upper hole to simulate it being over the belt because it's doubtful many would nocite that.
Your probably right. Im on my iphone so the vid is small.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,672
Well, as we both know, Gravely makes great equipment, so I have to believe that the belt is covered somehow when in use.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Gravely Commercial's Avatar
Gravely Commercial Gravely Commercial is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brillion, WI
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Well, as we both know, Gravely makes great equipment, so I have to believe that the belt is covered somehow when in use.
Did want to show you the deck with the belt cover in place:


Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,672
Thanks for the picture. Are you planning a beefed up version of this mower for full time commercial use?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:47 PM.

Page generated in 0.07768 seconds with 9 queries