Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-20-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Accessing field pavers

Hey, would like to know everyone's approach on laying the paver field.
My particular job right now is a 2700 sq ft driveway. It runs from the sidewalk on one end, to a detached garage on the other. Half of the left side will run along the house. For this job, would most of you start at the detached garage, and dump sand with a skid steer and screed backwards? I've seen guys lay and then drive over the just laid pavers with the skid steer but I can see anyway this would not mess something up. I.e. going up and down the same path with a loaded bucket or forks with a pallet of pavers. I know it will hold a vehicle but the skid steer I feel will tear something up. fYI the shallowest depth of a modified base is 17" due to how awful the soil was when we removed the driveway. We loaded 210 tons of modified.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
Hey, would like to know everyone's approach on laying the paver field.
My particular job right now is a 2700 sq ft driveway. It runs from the sidewalk on one end, to a detached garage on the other. Half of the left side will run along the house. For this job, would most of you start at the detached garage, and dump sand with a skid steer and screed backwards? I've seen guys lay and then drive over the just laid pavers with the skid steer but I can see anyway this would not mess something up. I.e. going up and down the same path with a loaded bucket or forks with a pallet of pavers. I know it will hold a vehicle but the skid steer I feel will tear something up. fYI the shallowest depth of a modified base is 17" due to how awful the soil was when we removed the driveway. We loaded 210 tons of modified.
Screed from top to bottom, lay from bottom to top. Running perpendicular with house is best. If you must drive on the base, place sheets of plywood and use your skidsteer if you must. Tracked units are a little less likely to do any damage.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

X2 for what zedo said. Seems like the only way without seeing pics
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I need a drawing or pic. my attention span isnt long enough to read all that and try to imagine.

I would NEVER drive a skid steer over pavers that are installed and not compacted. never.

A tracked machine is just as damaging as a tire machine. The only machine that isn't is a TRACTOR.

We did a 6500 SF paver driveway back in 2008 on a hill. The only way to install the pavers was from the top to the bottom. We had to work our way out of the property. People on this forum said "how could you lay from the top to the bottom, you're an idiot, blah blah blah...." Well, in all reality - it wasn't a big deal. 4 yrs later and all is well. It's laying block on the ground, it's not complicated, unless you want it complicated. And it's 12/20/12 and the world hasnt come to an end yet. And it's already tomorrow in austrailia.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just humor me here, when all is said and done, what did it end up costing the customer per SF On a job that big bailey and dvs? Im sure it wont be in a couple years, but those numbers are so crazy to me right now, my most is 900 sf in one location.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2012, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Just humor me here, when all is said and done, what did it end up costing the customer per SF On a job that big bailey and dvs? Im sure it wont be in a couple years, but those numbers are so crazy to me right now, my most is 900 sf in one location.
Posted via Mobile Device
First of all - the client supplied the pavers. He bought them from Belgard for $1.00 per sf. Yes, I will install what a client supplies. Money is money, I'm not going to turn it away.

Second - an excavating company installed the aggregate base. This driveway was very long. So they were able to install and compact the base in 1/2 the time it would have taken us

Third - that was 16,327 beers ago. I don't remember what the cost was. Maybe around 6 to 8 per sf?

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
Old 12-21-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post

I would NEVER drive a skid steer over pavers that are installed and not compacted. never.

A tracked machine is just as damaging as a tire machine. The only machine that isn't is a TRACTOR.
Not to stir the pot but why would you think a skid with tracks could do more damage than a tractor, I don't see how that is possible. We have done it countless times, no issues. Maybe if you're not familiar how to use a tracked ss then maybe it could be an issue. But with plywood and a tracked skid I would bet that there is less psi than a tractor.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The psi of a tracked machine is much less than a tired machine, I try not to drive over the pavers but I have done with no issues.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
Not to stir the pot but why would you think a skid with tracks could do more damage than a tractor, I don't see how that is possible. We have done it countless times, no issues. Maybe if you're not familiar how to use a tracked ss then maybe it could be an issue. But with plywood and a tracked skid I would bet that there is less psi than a tractor.
People get on this PSI kick. Great for a skid steer sales rep, but in the real world PSI quickly has no more meaning.

If you're talking driving a skid unit (tracked or tired) over uncompacted pavers that are like the size of a parking lot - all would probably be well.

But for a residential application, if you can't come straight in and go straight out - when you turn the unit - it can turn the pavers up.

A tractor doesn't skid. Put it in 2wd and no pavers would get turned up. Interlocking pavers are often used for vehicular use. A CTL has less PSI than a Toyota 4Runner.

Tracked machines do greater damage turning than tired machines. Because the tracks slice the ground.

Buying plywood at 25 bucks a sheet (american not canadian) is crazy. If I were pricing such a job, I'm going to find a way to get the pavers down without having to factor in plywood, etc., I'll sell the job. And guarantee it.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 12-22-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Straight in and out works fine if there is turning to do then I agree that there could be some damage. We always bring plywood to our jobs I buy around 20 sheets each spring so for us it's always on site. The old days we just used a wheelbarrow on strips of plywood.
Posted via Mobile Device