Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The best advice is to learn everything. The best way to succeed is to be better then the competition. If you want to make the money you need to be diverse and offer design, installation, lighting, holiday lighting, applications, maintenance, and anything else you can think of. Every service you offer the goal should be to be the best at it you can possibly be.

Your drive, business skills, organizational skills, and team building skills will ultimately determine how fast your business grows. There are guys who do millions in sales after just a few years and other guys who flamed out because they lacked all the skills required to properly grow a business. You do not want to grow a business too fast because you will not be able to manage quality control as well.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 05-11-2012, 02:54 AM
LawnSite Member

You might want to rethink that college thing or start using spell check. - snomaha

Never said I didnt go to college... For all you know I could just be an inconsiderate jerk that dosnt think its worth his time to hit spell check. This is precisely my point, your suggesting that if I go to college Ill no longer have spelling or grammer issuses...lol. I did say how ever that college in my opinnion is only beneficial to those who obtain Higher education like a doctrates or something similar. Doctors, lawyers, Engineers, Architects, etc. All these give you the information needed to run your own company. I dont advise working for someone else. But it takes all types to make the world go round. Therefore the common employee has a job. With all this said...and this depends on where you do business...for me...lucky me....I dont have to have a license to hire someone else WITH a license to do the work. I may have lost you there....let me know. Even though its not a requirment ...I do have all my licenses, certifications, insurances, and the like and revised by a legal team...I assure you Im well prepared. This leads me to the following reply about planning...I do that every day for hours it seems...always trying to find a way...easy way...to take the world...but Ill settle for the beautiful state of Texas.

he's to busy planning his landscaping empire to use stop and use spell check. Think about it, 50k his first year and an increase of 25% indefinitely after that. That means by year 5 he'll be making $122,000; at year 10 he'll be making $372,500; year fifteen he'll pass that million a year mark and make $1,136,868; if he stays in the business until year 25 he'll make over $10,500,000 that year. One would think with such an increase in sales each year one would be receiving plenty of buy out options from the national companies. But if the company is such a cashcow with such growth one would be stupid to sell it for very little when compared to what it WILL indefinitely bring in each season. If he holds onto it, at year 35 he'll be just under the billion dollar mark. If he has children that take over the family business and continue his successful growth, at year 62 they will make about $40 billion dollars. So I guess we should all plan on closing our businesses in the next 50-60 years since there will be no customers left for us. - GreenIndustryAssociates

So instead of answering the question you feel its a good thing to bash on someone...lol. I never said at what stag in business my company was in...but a little note 12 years ago I was doing 35k a year before expenses at the age of 14. I had no over head other than broken equipment and feul resources. No taxes, fees, or regulations at that point so there was not much expense. Ill give you the lowest numbers in my books and its still successful. 12 yrs ago I had 45 clients in season one...strict parents, long summers, whiz in school so no homework, not many friends...ment alot of time walking he neighborhoods. Ive never really lost a customer and I would definately say I have a 90% retention rate. If I say I got 1 client a month from that point on that would put me at about 189 clients or so...now 1% return on advertising To me atleast...is not acceptable...and I TRY my best to reach our goal of 25% but actually endup hittig something around 10-15% which is acceptable but I still see it as a loss...money not earned. Now over the years I have learned how to pitch and upsale just about every client. Every client I have is on a monthly package. Which leads me to the next reply...

The best advice is to learn everything. The best way to succeed is to be better then the competition. If you want to make the money you need to be diverse and offer design, installation, lighting, holiday lighting, applications, maintenance, and anything else you can think of. Every service you offer the goal should be to be the best at it you can possibly be.

Your drive, business skills, organizational skills, and team building skills will ultimately determine how fast your business grows. There are guys who do millions in sales after just a few years and other guys who flamed out because they lacked all the skills required to properly grow a business. You do not want to grow a business too fast because you will not be able to manage quality control as well. - PlantscapeSolutions

I agree 100% with PS here... I would also like to add that finding a niche in the clientle will help business stay flowing. Ive always loved the quote "Its just business nothing personal". I dont feel like a have competition but more so a professional network a colleages. With this mentality I would openly lover mergers of existing companies do level out the payscale and get a hold on the industry.

I will end with this...

I just remembered this thread was about NET profit, which will even more impressive when Brown & Co is making the numbers listed above.

So Brown, here is my question for you. This first year you are planning 50k a year. So 1% is worth $500. I will give you double that, $1,000 for 1% of the business as a silent partner. If you grow the business as you say you can, it won't take long for that 1% to be paying dividends high enough for me to sit on my couch all day and live a life of luxury with out needing to lift a finger. - GreenIndustryAssociates

The problem with this is that I dont need your money And for everything I have reinvested to the company over the numberous years of great business...the equipment, operations proceedures, Heartaches and headaches of learning the industry and finding my niche, I might...Might!... take on a silent investor if he could supply enough assests to exand my company a considerable amount to merit his % of ownership. I assure you I wont budge for less than 100k and Im talking more like a 500k-1M. Why? Because I know that if I dont personally close the doors on my own, down the line like you suggested my children will continue the company or hire someone to run it whos a scholar like I mentioned above will beable to handle it.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown & Co. View Post
I wouldnt advice going to college for anything other than the certifcations or license you need to do business.

it could take a me a year for 50 and I expect to increase indefinatly forever by 25% every year...thats my numbers.
Just poking fun brown - good luck this season!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

AceofBlades79,

So from day one did you start solo? How many guys and equipment did you have to net the 50K? I am done with school and am going to start full swing in 2013!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jau250 View Post
AceofBlades79,

So from day one did you start solo? How many guys and equipment did you have to net the 50K? I am done with school and am going to start full swing in 2013!
It's BS, he doesn't NET 50k in 3 years, if he does I'd like to know the secret
Old 12-21-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
It's BS, he doesn't NET 50k in 3 years, if he does I'd like to know the secret
its do-able. I don't get into my figures here, but I'll say this, my third season I had 17 full time employees. But I also invested alot more into advertising than most do to build my business quickly.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

It's absolutely doable. I started in late 2008 when the economy was tanking, and I business is great(I also don't want to get into numbers). I think the secrets to success in our business are the same as they are in most businesses:

Know and study your craft, do quality work and pay attention to details, hire good, honest, hard working people and train and pay them well, and maybe most important of all be nice to people.

Good luck with your business.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Member

12 years in business and hit 400,000 this year. I was in school the first 7 years i was in business. I do mainly maintenance. Money is good but man 7-10 guys keeping them consistently busy is a lot more work than i ever thought it would be. We continue to grow and hope to reach half a million in another 1-2 years.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The secret:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Copper-Alcoh...-/230900291078
Old 12-21-2012, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
That's a good one!!

GreenIA, what do you provide for services? From the sounds of it with 17+ employees you are more than mow 'n go.

Tags
advise , business , college , future , investing