Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Storage FeedbackIn the Hot South

This is my first year pushing lots of garland, wreaths, and even a 12' exterior use tree from Vickerman that would be $1500 to replace. I'm leery about the temps here in central Texas from May thru September. My 30x45 shop has insulated everything but it can still get hot especially in a year like 2011 when we hit 100F 90 times. Many of those 90 days were around 104-106. We spiked at 115F.

I was wondering what you guys down south do. I was pondering building a room in my shop and installing a window unit so I could keep things cool for the hot season. The other alternative is renting climate controlled space for five months out of the year.

The expensive HBL tree I bought for my own house a few years back faded and got a little stiff after one season of being in my shop. What do you guys in hot areas do with greenery to keep it from drying out and getting damaged.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-20-2012, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

we use boxes from uline in 2 sizes, 48x12x12 and 48x24x12. these fit perfect on pallet racks and we buy the double wall 275lb ones. I just spent 1300 and change for 3 pallets worth, or about 270 boxes. I have spent half that on the 200 pound rated ones, and it was a waste of money. they are only good for bows and garland, no cords. they collapse in 2-3 years. we put all garland in the boxes, and we put all like size wreaths together on one pallet rack with different shelf heights.

it gets to 100-110 and past that a few days in the past 2 summers, and I don't see any accelerated fading on the garland in boxes or wreaths that are open. we use the mixed noble wreaths and garland from HYDY, and it does start to fade after 3-4 seasons and the PEC pine foliage in it is pretty blue sprucey by year 6. but it also has PVC foliage of spruce and fir, and that keeps its color better, so it still is a nice mixed foliage even at the end of the bulb life around year 7-8.

I plan on restringing some of the 20 or so strands I have that are burned out in warm white leico LED, and restring 6 or so with multi, red, and blue and keeping 5 strands around to be ready to restring whatever color folks want to have. I always hate to take a new prelit white garland and then add light sets to suit a clients fancy. also, burned out bulb garland is perfect for those non lit indoor or non power areas like the front entry of subdivisions that have no power.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was going to ask you what you used to store garland and you beat me to the punch. I had planned to box mine up as well to minimize prep time next year.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 12-20-2012, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Dave,
Do you feel those boxes hold up as well as the Holidynamices boxes.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just ordered some boxes. I bet the HD boxes are either ULINE or something very similar. I just ordered 30 boxes and the shipping was $69 from a warehouse they have here in Texas.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

We use 20 gal totes for the lights and cords, they hold up when we get snow, as for garland we use these body bags that rubermaid makes, we can fit around five pieces per bag. The handels don't hold up but the bags are great usally 1 or 2 per job.

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 12-20-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Just Ordered 40 of the 48x12x12 15 of 48 x24x12
shipping costs for overnight were 89.00
Holidynamics is 180.00 minimum just shipping costs for the boxes. Crazy
Old 12-21-2012, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

after reading Davids recommendations for the unline boxes the last couple years, I brought in a pallet for this year to try. I've used a couple of them for some random storage around the shop and will see how they hold up for the lights when the season is over.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The uline boxes hold up well if you stick with the 275 lb ones.

We use the 48x12x12 and 24x24x24 but I am also going to bring in 24x24x12 this year as I think they will fit well into our storage system and save us some space and headaches with the smaller jobs. I usually order a pallet at a time to try to save on shipping.

We DO NOT send the cardboard out into the field, the guys and weather destroy them, when we prep the jobs we transfer the material from the cardboard into sterilite totes and send the totes into the field.

We also get our sundries from uline.

The only thing we dont get from uline are the boxes from holidynamics for the links.