Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Update: 02 Walker 26EFI

Thanks for your input guys. I searched for all the grounds I could find; the mounting bolts in the bottom or the engine, the battery ground and the small connector, and one other small relay mount on the top of the frame near the hydro pump. Can not see anything attached to the started.
What has been done; new O2 sensor, cleaned to bare metal, new plugs, inner and outer air filter, inspect and clean all connectors that I could find, new fuel filter.
Then when i just could not get it to run properly, broke down and took to dealer. they kept it a week and all they found/fixed was change the fuel filter. and discovered that I had re-installed the inner filter element backward( I know i had that thing apart so many times, just got sloppy)they changed and said it ran fine, and no codes. I know that my screw up only cause problems right at the end because i had run it with no element to see what effect it had. (only in the garage of course)

Yesterday I use the mower, runs fine and got some real work done (work=$), but after about 5 minutes the check engine light came on.
This issue has been one for many years but the engine has run fine, and yep now code 34 there again.
This is what happens; run full throttle-blades engaged light comes on after about 5 mins, release blades and let idle, within 8 seconds goes out, slow to disengage blades and back to full throttle and in about same time it goes out.
Seems it must be the load causing the issue.
Again any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

cracks in muffler?

check to see
Old 12-15-2012, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Nothing I can see, no signs of leaks, ie. soot. I removed all the shroud when looking for ground issues, so i could see most of the muffler. I may remove and install new gaskets to make sure though.
thanks for the reply.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

code 34

you say the motor runs fine ni issues except code 34 ? temp sensor? do you get any codes if you tried when motor is cold?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I dont think that code will set till engine is warm,O2 sensor does not function till it is hot. and to ck the code manual says to run at least mins. I think im gona call Walker and Kohler again not that i took to dealer as they recommended.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

walker

did you buy the mower new? just wondering if it has the updated package they put out a few yrs ago on grounding issues?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

from kohler dealer site

trying to send you info needed from kohler might need a email cause not sure how to send it on lawnsite
Old 12-16-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes I did buy new, but dont think they updated anything, has never been to shop till a few weeks ago
Old 12-21-2012, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok guys have used the mower a good bit this week and here is what it does;
Check engine light doesn't come on until has been running about 5 mins, AND ONLY with BLADE ENGAGED, if not wont come on. Then some time will go odd and may or may not come back on, usually does, disengage the blade and within 10 seconds goes out, at idle or wide open.

Then repeat each property, runs fine, no hesitation, no smoke of any kind, exhaust smells clean, nothing that would indicate an issue other than the light.
Thanks again for all your efforts.