Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

commercial LED does have those waterproof connects and hubs. Problem is, the strands are only 9' long haha. Cant get anything done.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The ignorance here is absolutely astounding. Bad enough that homeowners do this sort of thing but you guys hold yourselves out as "professionals" and take money for it. What I'm trying to say is if you had any knowledge you would recognize that the problem isn't the GFIs but with the crap equipment that is made in a third world country for the cheapest price. I realize that's all that is available but that's not an excuse.

Quote:
He just doesn't get it. What I mean by "it", why we do, how we do, and the 30-500k we make right before winter when all else is slowing and nature isn't snowing.
Another of my points. If you guys are such heavy hitters with that kind of profit how about forming a national organization that would push for the manufacture of the proper commercial equipment. Or would you rather sit out in your trucks on a cold rainy night waiting for your customer's lights to go out like a** h****.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
The ignorance here is absolutely astounding. Bad enough that homeowners do this sort of thing but you guys hold yourselves out as "professionals" and take money for it. What I'm trying to say is if you had any knowledge you would recognize that the problem isn't the GFIs but with the crap equipment that is made in a third world country for the cheapest price. I realize that's all that is available but that's not an excuse.

Another of my points. If you guys are such heavy hitters with that kind of profit how about forming a national organization that would push for the manufacture of the proper commercial equipment. Or would you rather sit out in your trucks on a cold rainy night waiting for your customer's lights to go out like a** h****.
You talk of ignorance, yet you choose to carry on in such a way. As I said, just not worth it.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 12-21-2012, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Carry on you say? Apparently you are just incapable of understanding the advice of someone who knows what he is talking about. If it's just not worth it consider this- Watch what happens when the laws are changed to make it necessary for all line voltage seasonal lighting displays to be installed by licensed electrical contractors and all equipment UL approved for wet locations.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
Carry on you say? Apparently you are just incapable of understanding the advice of someone who knows what he is talking about. If it's just not worth it consider this- Watch what happens when the laws are changed to make it necessary for all line voltage seasonal lighting displays to be installed by licensed electrical contractors and all equipment UL approved for wet locations.
I wanted to stay out of this but I want to ask.

Why would a licensed electrician be needed to plug an extension cord into an electrical outlet? Would this law extend to me as a homeowner the next time I needed to plug in my sump pump?

What would you say if I told you the equipment we currently use is UL rated?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
I wanted to stay out of this but I want to ask.

Why would a licensed electrician be needed to plug an extension cord into an electrical outlet? Would this law extend to me as a homeowner the next time I needed to plug in my sump pump?
In the interest of protecting life and property an AHJ has the power to enact any requirement that it feels is necessary and can ammend the NEC in their jurisdiction to make it law. What a HO does is one thing, but a third party doing this for a fee is quite another. You are held to a higher standard and from what I've read here it sounds like none of you have a clue. You are dealing with 120 volts here and that could easily kill. Could be you or it could be someone else who comes in contact with your work. If GFIs are tripping there is dangerious leakage someplace.

You wouldn't want to get a letter from THESE GUYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
What would you say if I told you the equipment we currently use is UL rated?
I would take the UL number off the tag then I would go to the UL data base and look it up. Betcha it's lifted off something else (counterfeit) or its indoor- not listed for wet locations.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, you like to paint with broad strokes and assumptions.

None of us know what we are doing? counterfeit UL tags?

I guess when you are a union electrician on furlough you have nothing better to do than troll. And typical of union workers you feel that anyone doing work that is not a card carrying member, cant possibly know what they are doing and must be stealing work from you.

I knew I should have stayed out of the conversation, figured I would ask legitimate questions and I get a link to an ambulance chasing law firm in Wisconsin.....

Have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nope. Not union. Just retired from my own business and doing landscaping now. That doesn't mean that I have forgotten what I know.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Once again my question was what is the harm in using a two wire (indoor cord) when every set of Christmas lights is only a two wire set up. If there is a problem with the strand of lights if the neutral/ground is faulty, even if it is plugged into a grounded 3 wire cord, you will still get zapped. The third ground wire will not come into play.

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 12-21-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Once again there is a lack of understanding. I don't think anybody was talking about grounding or two wire vs three wire cords but since you ask- There are no metal parts on a light string that would need to be grounded. It has a two prong plug and there is no reason to use a grounded extension cord unless you want to. Nobody is saying that you should. A two wire cord is fine. The only thing I am saying is that the light string, the plug and the extension cord ends should be made to be water tight which an indoor extension cord is not. Then you have no shock or leakage problems and no problems with GFIs. There are extension cords made for construction sites that have booted plugs and ends as well as the power distros that go with them.

The only things I can think of that would need a grounded connection is a display that has metal parts. Once again they should be listed for wet locations as well as the three wire cords connecting them.