Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-21-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Truck/Trailer Appearance

My primary target neighborhoods have home values averaging in the mid 275K-350K range. It's a new suburb, very clean, etc...

My question is: on a 1-10, how much significance should I place on the appearance of my truck and equipment (equipment only not personal appearance?) I know personal appearance is important but that's not what I'm worried about.

What are your thoughts?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

7 or 8 they should look clean taken care of lettered so people can recognize your name and number
Everything should look professional trucks,equipment even the uniforms or shirts you wear
Old 12-21-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Oh appearance matters you do not want to be the guy with mowers in his trunk or on the roof of his station wagon. Nor the guy around here with the mini van with no rear door who parks the mower sticking out the back. You want the next level down same guy couldn't drive for years DUI so rode the mower all over town from one job to the next and of course didn't own a shirt.

Iv had old ladies tell me they wanted me to mow their lawns because i had all new equipment and she believed that meant it would leave a nicer cut. The fact that not only was the equipment not new but had 3000 plus hours on it didn't matter I kept it clean so it must be true.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

These are great points...I understand having a clean appearance. I'm wondering if appearance is even more significant for the demographics that I stated initially? Maybe taking it a step further, is it equally or more important to have newer looking equipment, trucks, trailers, etc.?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes and no
They don't see your equipment till after they signed a contract
When you pull up on the initial estimate you and your truck need to look professional as well as your contract and business cards you leave with them
Old 12-22-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The other school also says, he who has brand new equipment ain't never seen a day's work.
How many baffoons I hear spewing off about "I been doing this for TWENTY YEARS!!!"
Yeah, and they got brand new equipment sitting right behind them, guess they didn't think anyone'd notice.

Why does it truly have to be new, doesn't new equipment mean the job might cost more?
Customers are not stupid, nice shiny truck, who makes that payment?

I have no way of predicting what exactly is going through that customer's mind when they see me, way I see things the way things are with the economy in a good amount of cases they'll give that guy working out of the trunk of his or her car a chance pretty darn quick, too.

At least he's trying goes that way.

My equipment, my trailer and my truck are tools.
I bought them and keep them up to get the job done.
In that sense they don't need to look good.
And I'm neither spending the time nor the money to make it so, all that does is drive up overhead, some folks might be able to charge more but they might give me the job because I'm cheaper and my equipment looks like it has done the work we're speaking of more than once before.

Last edited by herler; 12-22-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
The other school also says, he who has brand new equipment ain't never seen a day's work.
How many baffoons I hear spewing off about "I been doing this for TWENTY YEARS!!!"
Yeah, and they got brand new equipment sitting right behind them, guess they didn't think anyone'd notice.

Why does it truly have to be new, doesn't new equipment mean the job might cost more?
Customers are not stupid, nice shiny truck, who makes that payment?

I have no way of predicting what exactly is going through that customer's mind when they see me, way I see things the way things are with the economy in a good amount of cases they'll give that guy working out of the trunk of his or her car a chance pretty darn quick, too.

At least he's trying goes that way.

My equipment, my trailer and my truck are tools.
I bought them and keep them up to get the job done.
In that sense they don't need to look good.
And I'm neither spending the time nor the money to make it so, all that does is drive up overhead, some folks might be able to charge more but they might give me the job because I'm cheaper and my equipment looks like it has done the work we're speaking of more than once before.
Yeah I always thought that the guy pulling up with brand new equipment, etc. was going to be more expensive. I know people will say that you don't want a price shopper, but customers have an idea what a price should be and if they see a brand new truck pulling up they might just think, "this guy's going to try to get me on a higher price."

Maybe this isn't true for most people but that's what I would think...

Any more thoughts guys?
Old 12-22-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any more thoughts on this?
Old 12-22-2012, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My opinion varies on this question... I drive a 2011 Dodge 2500 Long Horn, have very nice equipment that is very well taken care of and all the stuff the other guys want... Now when I price a job I price it according to the job... Not what I need to pay the bills! Sense this year is over I can say that I landed over 80% of the jobs that I quoted... So back to the question "Does appearance make a difference?" and can it make a customer turn and run? Not in my experience...