Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-22-2012, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look into a World Lawn 28" or 32" mower, the Timemaster won't last more than a few seasons if you buy the residential. You can get a World Lawn for only a few hundred more than the residential model. You have to think about the long term, if your going to stay in business you need to use Commercial equipment.

Most guys use a 21/22" and a 36" mower for small yards. The issue with a 30 inch mower is that it may not fit into some of the small gates.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 12-22-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I don't know about you, but if I had that much grass to cut I'd be using a larger mower.

Edit: It's a little early for me. I realize now that you cut a total of 5-7 acres a week. How much use do you need out of the mower each week? If it's only a 20-40 minute use per week then I'd say you could get away with the residential model.
My main concern is about 3 acres of trees that has Rider tracks everywhere,,, that takes 3 man-hours to mulch mow around all those trees,,, with 21" mowers... Then occasionally I'd use it on some other properties to alleviate the compaction around those trees, before they get bad...
So I'd only need a couple hours per week on a regular basis but may add as much as 5 additional hours on some weeks... It should have paid for itself by the end of the first season... the commercial one may not have generated that much return and at this point I'm not interested in new business to cover costs... I am really more interestted in making the area superior to what it has been and getting that rider off of it is the first step...

I appreciate everyone making me think through this situation... thanks...
Old 12-22-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
Look into a World Lawn 28" or 32" mower, the Timemaster won't last more than a few seasons if you buy the residential. You can get a World Lawn for only a few hundred more than the residential model. You have to think about the long term, if your going to stay in business you need to use Commercial equipment.

Most guys use a 21/22" and a 36" mower for small yards. The issue with a 30 inch mower is that it may not fit into some of the small gates.

-Michael
This is basically a machine for a particular job... I even have the ability to leave the machine on site if I want too... and staying in business is not what I'm about,,, rather looking at perfecting this forestted area as I retire describes my thoughts toward the Timemaster...
Old 12-22-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to have known that Worldlawn mowers of that size was out there years ago... Nowadays they look too Spartan for me... I'm hoping the comfort and ease of the Toro will be easier to work...
The Exmark 26 had a variable speed handle that would surely cramp up my hands in no time...

For years I've asked around for extra large self-propelled pushmowers and all I got was ridiculed for not using a "Real Machine", that I can ride on... I even had one dealer explain to me how a ZTR would NOT compact the soil week after week,,, so my requirements were unnecessary...
Evidently there's a reason I've never heard of Worldlawn machines before...
Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I've decided that in spite of everything I really need a decent sized push mower that can be used in a heavily populated area of trees...
Ride-ons of any kind makes way too many dead zones because there is no way to travel alternate routes, cornering is necessary in the same place every time,and the sod isn't very deep rooted in a shady area with so many trees...

There are the main 3 reasons for taking the risk on the Timemaster 30...
So my question is:

Am I still a fool for investing in one of those things???
Its only about 7 acres per week that I need it for...
Hey Axe, have you thought of Cub Cadets 33 in mower? It's a single hydro but i have seen alot of people with these and seem to do a good job as well.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Having a hard time finding a 'spec website' on cub cadet, its all Retail Outlets... How lame is that???
You'd think that business people would learn how to make their product easily accessible to the potential buyers... Now days we have the internet and still can't get a good look at the selection of self-propelled walk behind pushmowers... there used to be a small cub cadet dealer in the area, but all I saw there was the selection of tractors, and never had a reason to visit him again...
Thanks for the idea though,,, maybe I'll go check him out and see if he's still in business...
Old 12-22-2012, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Having a hard time finding a 'spec website' on cub cadet, its all Retail Outlets... How lame is that???
You'd think that business people would learn how to make their product easily accessible to the potential buyers... Now days we have the internet and still can't get a good look at the selection of self-propelled walk behind pushmowers... there used to be a small cub cadet dealer in the area, but all I saw there was the selection of tractors, and never had a reason to visit him again...
Thanks for the idea though,,, maybe I'll go check him out and see if he's still in business...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUkmgwrAYlM
Old 12-22-2012, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My bad on the Cub cadet. I just saw on Home Depots website they are DISCONTINUED ... Sears made one just like it not sure if they're still making them or not. I had seen a bunch of people locally for the last couple years with them and did'nt know..
Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd get this and expect to get many years of service...
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2012, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GMLC, is that the new 30?

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN