Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-21-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
That is not an average
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry I failed math, so I gave the range. Let me go through the 200+ properties we maintain and find the average
Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We do over 400 places I'm in the middles of getting a better hold on all my numbers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2012, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Average is right around $48.68.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Oh boy
1st If you are solo how do you go on family vactions take time off in summer for family? To me that is why I have my own business
2nd cutting grass can make you a living but every year lawns get cheaper and cheaper so it is harder tan ever to make a good living
Briefly I have been in business since 1986 my original customers are some of my best payers
When I started it was me, then me +1 and i did very well
Then I got married and wanted to spend time in vacation tough to do solo or with 1 guy
So after several years like that basic mowing I realized I was an employee not a real business owner R
After years like that I now have 15 guys working doing full hard scraping anD yes it is labor intensive but in a 2 or 3 day job I can make more money than in a month of mowing
You need to decide what you wnt to do be a slave to your company or be a boss and let your company make you money
How many years do you want to cut lawns or will your body let you cut lawns for

look man i'm 37. i've been to florida every summer for the past 30 something years. i'm sick of it at this point. perhaps i will go snow skiing in canada during jan or feb for my vacation? i've only done this once so maybe i'll do that for the next 30 years? lol

my prices stay the same or go up every year. my cheapest yard i make $35 a cut and the biggest i make $125 a cut. have many in the $50-$60 range. average is probably around $75.

where i live $1500 a week is rolling in the dough. that's $6000 a month and we work 9-10 months out of the year down here. 54k-60k a year here is way upper middle class. the average job here makes 25k a year.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
must just be me but I have no problem letting another company into "my" lawns.

if its something I don't do or don't wanna do I'm quicker than the client themselves to recommend a competitor of mine.

some of the services I offer, I offer on a small scale only. meaning for example mulch. I'll do like 4 yards max. if its larger than that I'll recommend another company to do it.

I pretty much do what I wanna do and leave the rest to someone else. if I wanted to do some of the other stuff or do things on a larger scale I'd go work for the other guy.

That's kind of what I said. And at the same time kind of not.

I divide services into;
(1) Maintenance with recourring charges, wheather it's weekly, monthly or even sometimes yearly (like mulch).
(2) Installation which would include building a wall, planting trees and other stuff that has to be sold to the customer each and every time.

I try to stick to maintenance. And if I don't really feel like taking something on I ask myself "Am I just being lazy?" "Is this something a competitor can use to get their foot in the door?"
If it falls into the maintenance category I usually take it on. Unless it's bushhogging. I have a trustworthy guy that does my bushhogging. Another for installations and one for earthwork.

There ain't no way I'd recommend someone in direct competition to do work for a customer. I've been burned too many times with someone doing inferrior work then leave me holding the bag.
I can remember the bad old days of ChemLawn when they'd spray liquid nitrogen then leave it to the LCO to bag the clippings. Then if you could possibly keep up the customer would ask "What's wrong with your mower? It's making the lawn all yellow!" Then I'd have to answer "Yeah, 'cause I'm cutting down into the root zone." They'd ask "Why are you doing that!"

So here I am arguing with my costomer on proper lawn maintenance while the actual culprit is somewhere down the road!

If I'm going to take the blame, I'm going to take control.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

well see I don't take any responsibility for work someone else performed.

all I do is pass along the name and number and its the clients responsibility to contact them and do business with them.

but yes it is a risk that they will come in and take the whole account but its a risk I'm willing to take whether its because its something I don't do or don't wanna do.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have zero interest in wrangling with much past lawn maintenance, weed spot spraying, fertilizations, and core aeration. I do trim a few shrubs and bushes for regular clients but I find it to be a real PITA and I flat out donít enjoy it. I will not do these jobs for a non mowing client ever.

Major lawn renovations such as slice seeding along with multiple pass core aeration and top dressing was something I had hopped to get into heavily but I have found people get sticker shock and donít want to bother.