Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-22-2012, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
big flaw there. I would NEVER and I mean never off a discount for any reason what so ever.

you can pay the whole year upfront, pay monthly, pay weekly, whatever. absolutely no discounts for any reason for anyone. family, friends included.

I'm not desperate for my money and I don't have to have it right away. the 30 days from the invoice is fine for me.
I've learned you can't be slack about getting your money, it gives the impression you don't need it and they will gladly not pay it.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I absolutely HATE having to bill or ANY extra paperwork.....so guess what.... I'm going to raise rates on those who DON'T want the same rate every month plan. I work another business at night and early in the morning so I'm often blurry eyed or fighting sleep so the less time I spend staring at the computer the better.

A number of my clients will skip paying the extra required for fertilizer etcetera then the lawn looks iffy and they are running low on funds that month. So its my hope that floating those expenses across 12 months for snow clients [most snow clients are flat rate anyhow] or a 6-8 month growing season plan it would make my life vastly easier.

Whoís to say I wonít pad the monthly billed amount if Iím stuck billing discount that higher amount down 5% and train the client to send in their check at a set specified time. If their check doesnít show up by such and such time send payment reminder for the full non-discounted monthly amount. Call it a billing fee.

Over the years Iíve had several clients ask how much will lawn maintenance be per month....?

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 12-22-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Okay getting back to the original question.

Say one was to bundle the following: all fertilizations, weed spot spraying, weekly mowing, aeration as needed. 5% off if the client pays with out being billed or prepays on a set date in the month. Advantage is fertilization doesnít get skipped, lawn looks great, weeds in check etc. If you provide snow removal same amount every month all year.

Just makes sense to me. I believe it just has to be presented correctly.
Problem is everyone does not want a soup to nuts service so you can't bundle.

Also a lot of people would not like being charged for a mow that did not get done because of a drought.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Problem is everyone does not want a soup to nuts service so you can't bundle.

Also a lot of people would not like being charged for a mow that did not get done becauseo of a drought.

Most lawns here are on irrigation
so the drought factor is not much of a factor. If lawns are consistently fertilized... mowings will be regular.

The glitch is getting backed up due to wet weather and being forced to mow on weekends. Truth is mowing a lawn that gets pushed out to ten days takes more time to mow and is more work and few are willing to pay more for struggling with extra growth. If you are in control of the mowing and fertilization it is a win win. Work on getting lawn back on schedule on the next round vs pushing it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 12-22-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I've learned you can't be slack about getting your money, it gives the impression you don't need it and they will gladly not pay it.
well it's worked for 6 years so far so I think I'll stick with it if that's ok with you richard.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i try to get paid per cut and most do that. i only have a few that pay monthly.

i just like the idea of getting paid for the work i've already done before i do more work. there's a few times where i've cut a yard and they didn't leave a check and i came back and cut it again and they paid for both cuts at once. i'm fine with that. i understand people can forget or whatever. i'm not into the cutting a yard 6 times or more before you ever get paid any money. it's easy to get taken advantage of that way.

most pay me at the time of service. others mail me a check. i make sure i get the check before i go cut the yard unless it is a customer set up monthly in which you have no choice but to cut before you get the check.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm still say that if you want to be a professional looking company and not a joe blow, you'll bill monthly, as any other legimate service company does. What if you had to send in a check everytime you used the phone or everytime you watched TV? per service just isn't a way to operate a legit business.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I still say run your legit business however you want and forget what the blowhards say.

the point of a business is to make money. as long as your doing that who gives a rats behind if you collect per cut, weekly, monthly, etc.

I have always left it up to the client how they wanna pay. most have me invoice monthly. but I have my share who pay me each week I'm there.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

When I first came into the lawn business, 6 years ago, I took any and all of the business I could find. I took the $25-30 yards and I took the $ 75 yards. Slowly I've refined my outreach to customers so that I am only looking for the customer that fits the company's goals - high end residential and high end small-mid size commercial. I don't "put down" the companies that are looking at the low end or large commercial market, it's just not my market. I have learned to have my operations manager "hit me with a brick" when I am tempted to go outside of our target market. By staying in my target market I can tune my services and operations to meeting their needs. I have found that to have the same crew or crews servicing the mansion one day and the $25 yard the next is asking for disaster - their needs are dramatically different. On the other issue, I bill 95% of my clients on the 12 month system. In Virginia we basically service them from mid-March through Thanksgiving, with a final cleanup before Christmas. We are a full service landscaping company and our high end clients provide us typically with as much revenue from design and build as we charge for maintenance.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i think some customers are aware of this since they have asked if they pay the whole year when discussing contracts. i know some companies do it this way. it seems reasonable